• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help One X rebooting itself

Seany B

Lurker
Apr 25, 2012
First of all, I apologise if I do anything wrong, I am new to this forum so please be gentle with me haha!

I got my phone new on Saturday 21st April. Monday night, it told me there was an update available but because my battery was low it wouldnt let me start the update. I put my phone on charge when I went to bed and started the update, however when I woke up, the screen was black and the charging light was no longer showing.
I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in, after a couple of minutes it started charging again and the screen came back on showing the update symbol. I left it on charge all day and came back to find the phone off again. Anyway to cut a long story short, when i took it off charge, the phone came back on all updated, but whenever I tried to play music or access certain apps such as draw something, the phone reboots itself every time.
I tried deleting and reinstalling the apps, restarting the phone myself and even restored to factory settings but it still will not let me play music, when i click play, the phone screen freezes, then goes black and restarts.

Any ideas or anyone with the same problem?

Thanks

Sean

I must admit, I never read things through fully which it looks like may have caused this problem then.
I remember reading the bit about no less than 35% battery but I didn't read the full message regarding leaving the phone on charge whilst updating.
I spoke to HTC technical support on their live chat who talked me through clearing the cache of a few items and doing a soft reset (turning the phone of for 60 seconds and then back on again) which didnt fix the problem.
He then also talked me through restoring to factory settings which didnt help either so he has suggested taking the phone back to the store I purchased it from and ask for a replacement.
I would have thought me restoring to factory settings would have reset it to before the update but maybe not. Either way it still doesnt work, and now doesnt even let me access clock to set an alarm, keeps wanting to send an error report to HTC.
What do you lot think I should say to the shop to get this fixed or replaced?

Thanks for all your help by the way :)

Upvote 0
Yes I am based in the UK. I purchased the phone through phones4u but it was an early upgrade. I still believe that I should go to phones4u though rather than orange, is that what you would suggest?
Considering I only got the phone on saturday so it has been 5 days, then I would think I had a good excuse to request a replacement.

Upvote 0
*UPDATE*

Went to phones4u last night, showed them what was happening and they said there isn't anything they can do without me speaking to their technical support. Wasn't too impressed considering I had to travel a good few miles to reach this particular phones4u shop which is the only one local enough that is open till 8pm.
As i didnt get there till half 7 then I had no way of contacting the tech support and then going back to the shop to get a replacement.
After speaking to tech support they advised that there is nothing they can suggest to fix this and gave me a code to give the shop so that they give me a brand new phone. I think that is the best possible outcome, just means I have to travel after work again today to get it replaced.
Hopefully will be the end of it though :)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
The exact same thing happen to me. I upgraded firmware while charging and the same restart problems. I brought my phone from Expansys and after getting me to reset to factory they now asking me to send it back for replacement.

My question I have for HTC is: If these phones are so smart why does it allow itself to upgrade firmware if the charger is connected and battery is less than 35%? Especially if the consequences are so devastating to the phone? Hmmm

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, I am having this exact same issue! Except it wasn't because I updated with the battery being too low. I unlocked by bootloader (htc method) and rooted my phone according to xda guides. I went for a run and it played music just fine, but when I got back from my shower I started having the exact same issues. Won't play music or draw something, it just freezes and reboots.

The storage looks like it is mounting correctly, this is just a frustrating little glitch. I'm not sure what to try next but if anyone has heard anything else about it let me know.

Upvote 0
Yeah that is what I would question, surely the phone should be intelligent enough to know that a charger is plugged in and this is going to harm the phone. Although there is a warning that comes up, so I can only blame myself. Got my new phone on Friday evening, charged it all night and took it off charge to update saturday morning and everything seems perfect so far (touch wood!).
It is the best possible outcome to get a replacement, the phones4u rep said they will just send it back to HQ and wipe everything off the phone and start again, but they wouldnt expect me to wait for that to be done which is why they offer the replacement.
Br1ken - I am not familiar with 'rooting' but sounds like whatever has happened to your phone is the same thing that affects ours when we update with the charger plugged in. Where did you purchase the phone because I would see if they would replace the phone? Even though music and draw something aren't the most important things on the phone, you still want it to work perfectly.

Upvote 0
well i received my 1X last thursday and there were a variety of issues that occurred, firstly, MASSIVE battery drain, listening to 30mins of downloaded deezer knocked out 25% of the battery.

more importantly, the random reboots. Happens in standby or in use. when in standby it does into the random bootloader reboot cycle like on the Asus Transformer on ICS...VERY annoying when it happens at 3am in the morning lol

i was even on a call when it decided to do a random reboot.

i just had it replaced by courier yesterday by Orange UK, new unit's behaving better. train journey only killed 8% in 45mins of music and web browsing. hoping this will improve after the 1.28 firmware upgrade and battery conditioning.

Upvote 0
Update for everyone still having this issue

I had the phone yesterday, brand new, bought off Ebay, T-Mobile upgrade someone did not want. Everything was perfect until I updated to 1.28 while being charged and then in the morning, wouldn't turn on, when it did it rebooted after selecting games, videos, music, ring tones, volume etc

Reset factory settings no luck, it looked like sending it away was the only option though I had no receipt so not sure on how I would use the warranty

I decided to unlock the phone with the boot loader from htcdev

I have no clue on this, first android phone (coming from Iphone 4S) so 'cursed4eva' videos on Youtube were brilliant.

So I followed his instructions

Video 1 - Unlock Boot Loader
Video 2 - Root the Phone
Video 3 - Unroot the HTC One X: Back to Stock

I didn't want any custom ROMs so I just downloaded T Mobile Stock 1.26 ROM, I back-dated it to 1.26 and now everything works perfectly, my phone is now also relocked, un-rooted and no longer voids the warranty

Took me from this morning until now to sort but finally have!

Will never update with the phone plugged in again :D

Upvote 0
i'm facing the same problem, i bought it about 3 weeks back, it was working fine, no battery issues nothing. i updated it to 1.28 3 weeks back and it wasnt on charging. Today i faced these serious random reboots. they were continuous. worst part it i can't even replace my cellphone. My cellphone is not rooted yet. but im kinda worried now cuz of this issue =/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones