1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

only root can take screen shots?

Last Updated:

1. dk_zero-cool

dk_zero-cool Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi.
    I just installed a screen shot application from GIKSoft.
    When I started it, it asked for root permissions and wrote that only rooted phones could use the app. I have rooted my phone, but I can't see why this app need these permissions.

Is this a bad application or is it normal for an screen shot app to need this?
    I don't need root permissions on my normal linux machines in order to take screen shots.

Advertisement
  2. sandman512

sandman512 Well-Known Member

I use SHOOTME on my non rooted Epic, no problems.

3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

It's typical for such an app to ask for permission to access the OS. Every time you run an app needing root access it will require permission; Superuser manages these permissions. Superuser can remember your selection for a given app; when prompted grant the app permission and look for a prompt to remember this permission.

4. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Well-Known Member

Even though SHOOTME says that it is for rooted phones only, I am using it with my unrooted Epic without problem.

5. dk_zero-cool

#3 I know that it saves the setting but I don't just give any application root permissions just because it asks for it. The point with root is that applications can't just do whatever they want.

#2, #4 OK thanks. I will give that a try

6. w_bovine

Huh? I have no idea what you're trying to say with that.

7. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

It works on my EVO too without rooting.

8. b.kim

b.kim Active Member

+1 on my non-rooted Epic using ShootMe. Works like a charm everytime without faults.

9. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Actually you shouldn't need root to take a screenshot and you don't need root with the Shootme app, at least not anymore. Shootme works because the Framebuffer has a different set of permissions now.

That's why a lot of folks are able to use shootme without root.

10. diS

diS Well-Known Member

11. dk_zero-cool

#6 root is the administrator account on Unix based systems ( android as an example). Unlike on windows, root/administrator is not used as a regular user account because this account has unlimited access, and all applications running on this account can do anything such as destroying data, installing things without your knowledge etc.

so just giving root access to any application asking for it without asking your self, what does this application need these permissions for, removes the purpose of the root account.

Root is not an android invention :)

12. w_bovine

Seriously? Duh...I know what root is about and am well aware of the fact that root "is not an Android invention." It appears in essence that you are calling me stupid. Very well...have your moment of perceived superiority. And best of luck to you on the forums! :)

13. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Well-Known Member

14. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Calm down, bo, that's no way for a premium member to behave towards a forum newbie (check his post count). You said "huh", so he answered. If he answered the wrong thing, you might want to explain your point of confusion a mite better. :eek: If it's about his use of "#2, #4", he's responding to the 2nd and 4th posts in this thread. :)

Have an absolutely fabulous day!

15. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

Shootme doesn't work on a D1. Nuts.

16. kicko

kicko Active Member

i was unaware of the ability to use on non-rooted phones but i cant seem to get one to work on my incredible. I figured an EVO being HTC shouldnt be too different. ANyone get it to work on an INC?

17. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

The ShootMe app doesn't work on Non-Rooted phones per-se. It just happens to work on a couple types of Non-Rooted devices, which happen to be the Evo/Epic line of phones. Which may signal an intentional change within their OS, or a mistaken change leaving a gaping security hole if some apps can access functions normally restricted to root/super-user priveleges.

18. kicko

kicko Active Member

So is that a no? ;)

i dont know why its so hard, my weatherbug app will capture a screenshot. Couldnt an app open and then with that app open be used to open another, sort of like a middleman that could make a screen capture happen? Did i make sense?

19. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, yes... that's a no. :)

Weatherbug can only take a screenshot of itself, because the app currently owns the process that's using the screen. Any app can screenshot itself (if it's built into the app), but without root/su privileges, no app can screenshot another app and it's processes.

Apparently Google/Android feels it's a security issue. And if you think about it, it's not inconceivable that should other apps be able to screenshot whenever they want, that would open a gateway for userinfo and delicate information to be stolen by a malicious app. :shrug: I'd rather be able to screencap at will.

20. w_bovine

I am aware of his post count. I said "Huh?" because he made a statement that didn't make sense to me. And I understood the #2, #4 etc. Thank you for your insight into the matter.