• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Open Wifi Security

gchapman

Lurker
Jul 6, 2012
I just got this phone a couple of weeks ago. As it happens, I will be outside of t-mobile's service area for a couple of days next week. I expect I will have access to open Wifi though, and, if so, I'd like to connect to gmail to check my email.

My understanding is that the gmail app itself uses SSL connections, so it is secure to use over open Wifi. What's not clear to me is what other services on the phone might try to connect if I join an open Wifi network. In particular, will text messaging connect automatically (and, if so, does it use a secure connection)?

I've tried exploring the settings on the phone and have not found anything that looked relevant (to me). Does anyone know if the phone allows control over what connects over Wifi?

Also, is there any documentation which covers these sorts of issues?

Thanks for any help,
Greg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones