• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OpenVpn and Anyconnect

If you could get it working that would be awesome. I'd really like to new able to vpn in for work things on the go. Thanks for the work you've put in and for the update. I just assumed that this sort of functionality would be included to start with, my first android phone. I'd like to learn more about dev for phones but just don't have the time right now. Thanks again. ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm not looking for a remote desktop app. In fact I already use teamViewer but for a completely different purpose than what I want the OpenVPN and anyConnect for. Although they can be similar at times there are definately important differences that exist. Thanks for your helping spirit though.

Upvote 0
I have VPN access to my home network from my Samsung Prevail over both wifi & 3G.

The steps bellow assume you already have a working OpenVPN server on your network & you are able to connect remotely from another computer using the OpenVPN client. I also assume your Prevail is already rooted, already has buysbox installed (comes with the few roms available for our phone), & you are somewhat familiar with using either a terminal emulator on your phone, through Droid Explorer, etc.

First you must download the tun.ko file for the Prevail. The one I compiled can be found at: https://rapidshare.com/files/4022896828/tun.ko Save the file to your sdcard then turn off USB storage so the file is available from the terminal session.

In the terminal, type

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /rootfs/ /system/
cp -f /sdcard/tun.ko /system/lib/modules/
chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
Now exit the terminal session. Download & install OpenVPN Installer from the market place. After the installer finishes, download & install OpenVPN Settings from the market place.

Copy your OpenVPN certificate files to a folder called "OpenVPN" on your sdcard. ie: /sdcard/openvpn/ca.cert

On your prevail, launch OpenVPN Settings. Tap your menu button on the Prevail then select Advanced. Tap on TUN module settings. Change Load module using to insmod. Enter "/system/lib/modules/tun.ko" in the Path to Tun box. Go back one menu. Make sure your path to configurations & binary are correct. If everything looks good, click the check box next to Load tun kernel module. Now go back to the main OpenVPN Settings screen and check both boxes. If everything is configured correctly, you should connect to your VPN within a couple of minutes.

Thanks. Adding to Beginners' guide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones