OpenVpn and Anyconnect

Last Updated:

1. keyneom

keyneom Member

Has anyone been able to setup anyconnect or openvpn successfully? If so could you provide a bit of a walk through what you did and where you found the necessary files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. keyneom

keyneom Member

Or if you even just know where I could find the appropriate tun.ko that would be great.:)
  3. Samsung Boost

Samsung Boost New Member

I'm in the exact same position! Have you found anything that will work? Please let me know if you do!
  4. Koumajutsu

Koumajutsu Well-Known Member

I found a tun.ko that is supposed to be universal, but I have no idea how to install it
  5. Defytheworld

Defytheworld Member

VCN Viewer works as far as controlling your desktop with the prevail. It has an option for file transfer but havent seen it work yet. Quite pricey though.
  6. jtaylor781

jtaylor781 New Member

I compiled tun.ko for Samsung Prevail today. Since I'm a new user, I can't post a link to it though. Although I've been able to successfully connect to my VPN server at home, I haven't been able to connect to any other resources. I'm researching/troubleshooting and will report back here once I have it completely working.
  7. keyneom

keyneom Member

If you could get it working that would be awesome. I'd really like to new able to vpn in for work things on the go. Thanks for the work you've put in and for the update. I just assumed that this sort of functionality would be included to start with, my first android phone. I'd like to learn more about dev for phones but just don't have the time right now. Thanks again. ;)
  8. sleve420

sleve420 New Member

TeamViewer app works for desktop control (def.) & file transfers (I'm pretty sure). Free Market app that I love
  9. keyneom

keyneom Member

Yeah, I'm not looking for a remote desktop app. In fact I already use teamViewer but for a completely different purpose than what I want the OpenVPN and anyConnect for. Although they can be similar at times there are definately important differences that exist. Thanks for your helping spirit though.
  10. jtaylor781

jtaylor781 New Member

I have VPN access to my home network from my Samsung Prevail over both wifi & 3G.

The steps bellow assume you already have a working OpenVPN server on your network & you are able to connect remotely from another computer using the OpenVPN client. I also assume your Prevail is already rooted, already has buysbox installed (comes with the few roms available for our phone), & you are somewhat familiar with using either a terminal emulator on your phone, through Droid Explorer, etc.

First you must download the tun.ko file for the Prevail. The one I compiled can be found at: https://rapidshare.com/files/4022896828/tun.ko Save the file to your sdcard then turn off USB storage so the file is available from the terminal session.

In the terminal, type

Code (Text):
    1. su
    2. mount -o remount,rw /rootfs/ /system/
    3. cp -f /sdcard/tun.ko /system/lib/modules/
    4. chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
    Now exit the terminal session. Download & install OpenVPN Installer from the market place. After the installer finishes, download & install OpenVPN Settings from the market place.

Copy your OpenVPN certificate files to a folder called "OpenVPN" on your sdcard. ie: /sdcard/openvpn/ca.cert

On your prevail, launch OpenVPN Settings. Tap your menu button on the Prevail then select Advanced. Tap on TUN module settings. Change Load module using to insmod. Enter "/system/lib/modules/tun.ko" in the Path to Tun box. Go back one menu. Make sure your path to configurations & binary are correct. If everything looks good, click the check box next to Load tun kernel module. Now go back to the main OpenVPN Settings screen and check both boxes. If everything is configured correctly, you should connect to your VPN within a couple of minutes.
    kevincott likes this.
  11. keyneom

keyneom Member

Works great! Thanks so much!
  12. jtaylor781

jtaylor781 New Member

I'm glad you were able to get it working! I hope my instructions weren't too horribly written.
  13. kevincott

kevincott Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks. Adding to Beginners' guide.
  14. keyneom

keyneom Member

Well I actually set it up for any connect as well. So a few changes were necessary but I set the path for open vpn to work from there as well. Haven't had any problems yet. Thanks again for your work!
  15. Koumajutsu

Koumajutsu Well-Known Member

what did you have to do to have it work with anyconnect?
  16. keyneom

keyneom Member

I don't remember all the details of current settings you may need to enable in both programs so that they both work off the same tun.ko file, but if I remember right AnyConnect automatically looks in/data/local/kernel_modules for the file. That should be the only major issue.
  17. dudlo

dudlo New Member

Sorry to resurrect old thread but the download link to tun.ko (on rapidshare) is dead. Do you know where I can find it? Thanks.