• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange data plan - what does this mean?

GWD, when you first got the phone, was it in the middle of a billing period? If so, they probably Pro-rate your 500MB, meaning that if you're half way through the billing cycle, you start with only 250MB remaining. It sounds like you started 8 days away from the end of the billing period, giving you just 133MB remaining of you 500MB, even though you hadn't actually used any of it yet.

...tricky bastards these cell phone companies are...

Upvote 0
I've been wondering about this, if I go to the My Account page via my phone it always says I have used 0 of 500MB.

I'm wondering if the same thing has happened with my account (dolphin 45) as with Phillevy.

What's weird is that the data counter definitely kept track initially but it seems to have stopped now.
Orange is doing maintenance on their site so I'll have to have a look and see if my account looks the same in the morning.

Fingers crossed for an extra 500MB!

Upvote 0
I've been wondering about this, if I go to the My Account page via my phone it always says I have used 0 of 500MB.

I'm wondering if the same thing has happened with my account (dolphin 45) as with Phillevy.

What's weird is that the data counter definitely kept track initially but it seems to have stopped now.
Orange is doing maintenance on their site so I'll have to have a look and see if my account looks the same in the morning.

Fingers crossed for an extra 500MB!

This is what I get:
p997883592-2.jpg

Upvote 0
Can't see that, it just says "Content protected by owner" on my screen but thanks for trying.

I'm going to give them a call and see what's what, I just looked at my latest bill and can't work out how they've come to the conclusion that I need to pay them more money than the basic monthly subscription (nearly

Upvote 0
Just called them up and they say I've got a blackberry email account, meaning I've got unlimited push data for emails, which explains my having such a large amount of non-inclusive (which translates to uncharged or free) data useage. They also say that I've not used any data in the past fortnight, which is definitely not true. The guy seemed to be pushing the word UNLIMITED at me quite a bit and I ended up feeling like I was getting away with something so I stopped asking questions! They refunded the difference on the bill too.

It does mean, to me, that the 500MB you'd get as standard is significantly low. If I didn't have unlimited email, based on my useage last month I'd be pushing at going over the cap. What's key is that I was almost always on Wi-Fi as I have been working from home this past month. I have mobile data set to a widget on the home screen which is always set to be off unless I'm away from wi-fi.

I'll be checking to see what the non-inclusive data looks like on my next bill and will be keeping tabs on the your account page with Orange but I think ultimately I've got lucky. I also think that the phone would be pretty crippled or very expensive to run if I hadn't though.

Upvote 0
Hi sorry to bump this but I'm new to the forum and it seems like you guys might be able to help me better than a new thread.

I just completed my first month on Orange and they said I'd gone about 200Mb over the phones usage (500Mb).
When I queeried how, becasueI've hardly been using it, they eventually came to the conclusion that when I turn it on in the morning, something on the phone is downloading between 2 and 5mb of data, once every hour, until I turn it off again. The only thing I can think of here is something like a Twiitter app, but I know full well this couldn't use up that kind of bandwidth. Anyone else experienced similar or know what it might be?

Thanks in advance:thinking:

Upvote 0
All I can suggest is getting a data counter from the market or using Orange's website, disabling or signing out from everything that uses data and then checking your data usage. You should then enable each thing one at a time over a period that lets you judge the amount each thing is contributing to data usage until you find out what the culprit is.

Not watching a YouTube video every hour are you?

Upvote 0
yeah thats what I figured. Thanks for the hint. I've downloaded a data tracker and it seemes to be every time I use Peep to update with twitter it uses about half a Mb, which seems like a ridiculous amount of data for a few lines of text. Maybe there's some freaky refresh going on. Also noticed that even when I'm on wifi it still seems to send and receive small packets though, probably about another half Mb over the course of a couple of hours.

Guess I'll just have to put up with it for the next two years until my contract runs out and I can change to another provider :(

Upvote 0
yeah thats what I figured. Thanks for the hint. I've downloaded a data tracker and it seemes to be every time I use Peep to update with twitter it uses about half a Mb, which seems like a ridiculous amount of data for a few lines of text. Maybe there's some freaky refresh going on. Also noticed that even when I'm on wifi it still seems to send and receive small packets though, probably about another half Mb over the course of a couple of hours.

Guess I'll just have to put up with it for the next two years until my contract runs out and I can change to another provider :(

That cannot be right. What do you have on your homescreen(s)? Any widgets? Do you have Taskiller? If not get it and use it to see which apps are running. There's no way Peep should be using that much data. Do you follow about a million people and therefore download thousands of messages? I can't imagine that's likely but all the same I thought I'd ask. Try Twidroid, how much data does that use when you tweet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones