Orange data usage. A cock up?????

Last Updated:

1. mark1252003

mark1252003 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use 3g Watchdog, apparently last month I used a whopping 8.5 gb of data with Orange, i think theres some kind of cock up with Orange because theres no way Ive used that much! My conract is 500mb a month inclusive and unlimited (Thank god) for evenings and weekends, this month alone (Renewed on the 12th) and ive used 600mb already, mmmmmmmmmm :confused::confused::confused: i did a windows update using my phone as a modem last month in the day time which would have come out of the 500mb (200mb for the update) but it came out of the unlimited bundle ! Anybody who is on Orange and calls customer services just becarefull because ive asked them the same thing over a period of time and each time ive had a different answer, the lady said that it might take sometime for the data to be updated on your account even tho it was already updated at silly oclock that morning, Anybody else had similar problems?

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I have 500MB usage fair usage on Vodafone but never really use that much. but 8.5 GB of data is just crazy. Do you tether all the time? watch alot of youtube or downloading on your phone etc? :)

3. mark1252003

Id say 80% I use it as a modem, only download I did was the mentioned 200mb windows update , only a few youtube videos too. Iam going to reset my 3g watchdog and calculate how much i use in a day.

4. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Tethering can cause large amount of data to be used as the web pages can be quite large, especially downloading stuff and watching youtube. When I first got my orange modem {mobile broadband} I only used it to download SP1 from windows update and a few hours of browsing and when the bill come in they told me 6GB.

unbelievable but true....... They charged me an extra

5. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

I'm with Orange on 500mb per month.
    I also use 3G watchdog which i check daily alongside my orange data use on line.
    Both have been spot on.

6. ken-doh

ken-doh Active Member

Dont use your phone as a broadband modem !! its that simple

Orange unlimited has a fair usage cap of about 2gb. Remember unlimited does not mean unlimited...

if you go over it doing stupid things like windows updates. they will charge you for the amounts over the fair usage limit. why didnt you just wait till you were at home ?

its a phone - not a broadband modem...

people like you ruin it for the rest of us and as a result these crappy limits are imposed... I struggle to even reach 500mb of data transfer on my phone each month...usually its about 250mb

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

You really shouldn't download windows updates using your phone...

A smallish youtube video watched over your browser can be at least 50mb. Websites, with all their hi res images and stuff can easily be up to 1mb a page. If you use your phone as a modem 80% of the time, then you can easily clock up such usage.

8. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

I believe O2 completely excludes tethered use from their iPhone data allowances.

9. mark1252003

Ive only had this contract for 4 month so I cant see how I can be blamed for some of this, Blame Orange for sayin its OK to use it as a modem as some of the staff do,or whats the point having the option on the phone then?? as for "wait till i get home to do the updates" i dont have internet there only my phone hence why i do it this way!!, as for "crappy limits" even tho its imposed for a 1gb limit all the folk at orange ive spken too have said theyve never heard of anyone getting a telling off for going OTT. So in my rights iam doing nothing wrong!

10. spamianspoon

spamianspoon Member

I got my hero on contract with Orange, but after a few months of ridiculous data charges, I've stopped using my Orange Sim and switched to 3 uk payg. A ten pound top up gives you 125mb inclusive data, and despite what Orange said I was using, I have yet to exceed my allowance from 3.

11. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

I stop just before 500MB on 3G Watchdog.. But my bill often says I am upto 50MB short of it.

12. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

ring them up and ask for unlimited data. I have this for a tenner a month. Orange have promised that i will never pay any data charges over this