• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OT: How are Android browsers identified by websites?

I was just reading an article on another site about a decrease in market share for IE, and an increase in Chrome which got me to thinking...how does a website register the browsers on smartphones?

Does the default Android browser identify as Chrome? What About Opera Mini as Opera? or the iPhone browser as Safari? or Dolphin since it doesn't have a desktop equivalent?

Just curious...

I'm not sure if android browsers identify them selves individually or not. I know on PCs, your user agent will be your browser's name, but on my phone the only options for the user agent are android/computer/etc, nothing specific.

That's only by looking at the default browser, the 3rd party ones might be different.

Upvote 0
Depends on how the user agent is set. There are sites that will show you how your browser is identifying itself if you're interested. For my stock browser (UA not changed):

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones