• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Firmware URIs Found - Work still needed

I just got the update and I think I may have forced it going threw this thread I saw that the file was hosted and then I downloaded it then used anycut from the market to open the device management and clicked start dm then I noticed the red and blue arrows minutes later I got the notification and boom update
plz someone try it and tell me if this works

I did this. Got the Message and update is available. I clicked proceed. After reboot nothing new. I can do it repeatedly and get the same results (I have) after reboot, nothing has changed.

Upvote 0

Partitions with file systems should be accessed via STL devices with no offset - edited table.

Code:
[COLOR=Blue][B]Device     Partition  Image     Offset     Size (KiB)[/B][/COLOR]
bml1       MIBIM      arm9boot               2048
bml2       OEMSBL1    arm9boot  @0x200000     512
bml3       OEMSBL2    [I]{blank}[/I]                 512
bml4       APPSBL     arm11boot              1024
bml5       AMSS       amss                  23040
bml6       RECOVER    recovery               6144
bml7       EFS2       [I]{radioFS}[/I] 0xA80000    23040
bml8       APPS       kernel                 6144
[COLOR=Orange]stl9[/COLOR]       EFS2APPS   system    [COLOR=Orange][s]0xA80000[/s][/COLOR]   226304
bml10      FOTA       [I]{blank}[/I]                8192
bml11      RFBACKUP   [I]{blank}[/I]                 512
[COLOR=Orange]stl12[/COLOR]      CACHE      cache     [COLOR=Orange][s]0xA80000[/s][/COLOR]    40960
bml13      PARAM      [I]{unknown}[/I]              1024
[COLOR=Orange]stl14[/COLOR]      USERDATA   userdata             173568

Update: Simply hexediting the flash file system header out so that the remaining image matches the contents of the original ODIN images does not seem to work.

The problem is that dumping the BML devices with files systems on them (vs RAW) produces an image that is too large. In the originals, all the files were allocated near the beginning of the ROM, and the rest was zeroed (in NAND flash this means 0xFF). After the update I noticed that files were allocated at the end as well. This means one cannot simply remove the extra zeroed space to make it fit for ODIN.

The STL devices work at a higher level, translating addresses in flash so they can work with normal file systems. Using an STL image instead of the edited BML image may work.

The downside of using STL devices for file system dumps is that they are only enabled on specific partitions. The good thing is these other partitions do not really concern us unless we want to edit the radio code (lets leave this alone).

Unfortunately the error in trying to flash the BML image forced me to ODIN back to the UVIJ6 firmware. Once I receive the update again I will test the new ROM dump and release a no-root-needed ROM update via ODIN if it works.

I updated the partitioning table with the above.

Upvote 0
@Nu11u5 - Let me know if you can get the Update to reinitiate. I ODIN'ed back to stock expecting that I would be able to re-download the Update and that has not been the case. No one at TMO has been able to help. Consequently they are shipping me a "new" phone that will "hopefully" have the update on it.

Upvote 0
@Nu11u5 - Let me know if you can get the Update to reinitiate. I ODIN'ed back to stock expecting that I would be able to re-download the Update and that has not been the case. No one at TMO has been able to help. Consequently they are shipping me a "new" phone that will "hopefully" have the update on it.

Its possible that T-Mo has flagged our IMEI's as having already received the update. If that's the case then the system does the updating a little half assed, making assumptions about the phone instead of querying it.

The alternative to getting a replacement from T-Mo (btw, would they charge for that?) would be to find another community member who does have the update successfully installed. I could walk them through the ROM dump process and if it works everyone can get the update :D

Upvote 0
I have to wonder if you're not right about the flagging of IMEI's since it's been like 10 days since I got the update and after trying everything I could come up with I can't get it to start again.

TMO is not charging me as I'm still in my warranty period.

If you can point me to some good directions on I'd love to know how to do a dump. I have googled it but clearly I am not catching the right phrase since all the results are related to posts about finding a ROM dump, but not how to perform one.

Final question, how do you restore from a ROM dump? I am quite experienced with ODIN at this point, but this seems something different.

Upvote 0
If you can point me to some good directions on I'd love to know how to do a dump. I have googled it but clearly I am not catching the right phrase since all the results are related to posts about finding a ROM dump, but not how to perform one.

Final question, how do you restore from a ROM dump? I am quite experienced with ODIN at this point, but this seems something different.

The ROM dump process uses the *nix tool 'dd' which reads and writes to/from any enumerated device or file. You can find its man page to learn how to use it better, but the command I'm using is just "dd if=/dev/block/stl9 of=/sdcard/stl9.dd bs=4096". The parameters in order mean input file, output file, and block size. Specifying a larger block size (default is 512 bytes) makes the copy more efficient and faster, but too large and you can get issues.

You will need root to use dd this way.

The device /dev/block/stl9 on the phone is the system partition. Other partitions can be seen in my previous post listing them.

The idea happened when I noticed that the files inside the ODIN tarballs exactly matched (with some extra zeroed data at the end) the block device dumps. If you take these dumps and re-tar them in the usTar format, ODIN should take them just fine. This way you can custom flash your phone without needing to install root first.

I used Cygwin tar to create my usTar files, see its man page for instructions.

If you mess with this yourself leave out the boot, amss, and recovery images from the tarballs when using ODIN. They didn't change since the update so no need to flash them, and corrupting any of these will permanently brick your phone.

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump and old thread but its related to this discussion.

I was wondering if anyone ever figured out how to apply this type of update file. From what I know its a "redbend Embedded Feature Delivery package" and the program redbend_ua is what I think is used to apply it.

The Samsung Galaxy Indulge had an update pushed recently to a few people. Of those who got it the installation failed on a high percentage.

I was able to finally get a copy of the file and its of the same type as mentioned in this thread. It is my strong opinion that redbend_ua is what applies this patch.

You can see a thread about the update file I found here http://androidforums.com/indulge-al...am_r910_ea29-ea29-ea17_ee07-ee07-ed15-dp.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones