• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA Froyo update failed! I'm screwed!

Hey all, just thought I would share

I also rooted my Droid X to remove some applications. When I just tried the update it failed.

When I uninstalled the apps, i didnt actually uninstall them. I added the number 1 onto the extension of the application instead of deleting the file.

I just went back into root explorer, removed the 1 on the three applications that I had wanted not to load and retried the update. Worked totally fine this time. So let this be a little lesson, Dont delete the stock program files, just change the extension so they are not readable. Same effect but much easier to undo.

Upvote 0
I didnt uninstall any Moto/VZ apps. All i did was root my phone with Universal Root and Droid X Bootstrap.

One thing tho, everytime I power my phone on it goes straight to clockwork mod recovery

DID THIS SAME THING. same thing happens. Halfway threw update it fails. Anyone know a fix to this yet??

note** no apps were ever removed just rooted used bootstrap changed notification bar and overclocked the b**ch. and now this is happening.

Upvote 0
I have all the files I need downloaded. I opened up RSD Lite 4.7, and it sees my phone when it is powered on. As soon as I turn reboot it into bootlaoder mode, it is not listed there anymore, and I am unable to start the flash.

Any suggestions??

I'm running windows 7 Ultimate x64

Also I just noticed that when my phone is plugged in normally it shows up as a Motorola a855, but when it is on the loader screen it shows up in device manager only as SE Flash OMAP3430 MI. Does this mean anything?

Upvote 0
Hey all, just thought I would share

I also rooted my Droid X to remove some applications. When I just tried the update it failed.

When I uninstalled the apps, i didnt actually uninstall them. I added the number 1 onto the extension of the application instead of deleting the file.

I just went back into root explorer, removed the 1 on the three applications that I had wanted not to load and retried the update. Worked totally fine this time. So let this be a little lesson, Dont delete the stock program files, just change the extension so they are not readable. Same effect but much easier to undo.
Exactly what I did, I didn't delete the apk's, just changed the extension. I corrected the extensions, and I was looking for evidence to see if this corrected the problem and it worked. And you gave me that confirmation! Thanks!

nG

Upvote 0
Also I just noticed that when my phone is plugged in normally it shows up as a Motorola a855, but when it is on the loader screen it shows up in device manager only as SE Flash OMAP3430 MI. Does this mean anything?

I finally found the answer! There is an additional driver as part of "the gift. I installed that and now RSD is working... currently flashing the X

Upvote 0
Just another FYI, my update kept failing after 10+ installation attempts. I pressed the search button during the last install (which shows a terminal-type install screen), and found that the update was failing on /system/bin/logwrapper (followed by random hex characters). I found a post on another forum which pointed to this article which showed how to fix the logwrapper issue.

I followed it step by step and it worked like a champ. Downloaded and installed again, this time it worked perfectly.

My phone was rooted with 2.1, with ClockworkMod Recovery. Which seemed to be causing the issue.

Hope this helps for anyone else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones