• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OTA update of rooted Moto G 4G LTE

actomox

Lurker
Nov 7, 2012
I successfully unlocked the bootloader via Motorola and rooted my phone using Super SU. As a newbie it was all about following instructions to the letter and crossing fingers! I have installed Titanium Pro so can do backups.
My understanding is that I will still have the stock recovery and stock rom. Does this mean I can install the OTA upgrade to 4.4.4 without problems and if so, will I lose root by doing it?
Thanks

I successfully unlocked the bootloader via Motorola and rooted my phone using Super SU. As a newbie it was all about following instructions to the letter and crossing fingers! I have installed Titanium Pro so can do backups.
My understanding is that I will still have the stock recovery and stock rom. Does this mean I can install the OTA upgrade to 4.4.4 without problems and if so, will I lose root by doing it?
Thanks

If you have a stock recovery and stock rom make sure everything unfrozen before taking the ota, and if you lose root just reroot it. That is the advantage of unlocked bootloader

Upvote 0
I promised an update.
After making my post I remembered that, not knowing that at the time there was no custom recovery available for the Moto G 4G LTE I had flashed the Moto G recovery. It appeared to succeed but of course failed to load from bootloader. I then discovered here that there were no custom recoveries or roms available and being uncertain where that left me with regard to having or not having stock recovery on the phone I decided to chicken out.

I subsequently have successfully installed TWRP recovery and gone on to load Xposed framework with a now outstanding activity to load Gravity Box.

I shall therefore decline the OTA KK update - but thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones