• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Update thread - Discussion/Issues

You will have to excuse me because i am not very techy. The story is that my phone stated that it needed an update tonight. I carried out the update and since then my phone has stopped working it now keeps powering off and on constantly and only manages to get to the white HTC screen, although every so often it will show the screen with the small phone with the warning triangle. I have carried out a wipe data and factory reset but the phone is still going through the same motions. I did a proper reset by going to the menu and selecting the wipe data and factory reset, it started doing its thing and scrolling through each stage so i know that it did actually do it, but like i say it has not solved the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Notifications:
Now when you receive a notification for example a whatsapp message you get a large horizontal bar at the top of the screen. These are called interruptions, but I can't find where to turn these off. In other devices there is an option for Interruptions in the Sound & Notifications menu, but on M7 we don't have it.

Random icon on top bar:
After the update there is an unusual icon in the top bar as you can see in the screenshot. I have ended all processes in running apps, yet it still appears.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-09-20-31-50.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-20-31-50.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
Upvote 0
The random icon in the top bar is NFC - turn that off in the "More" section of the Wireless and Network settings and it will go away.

I've not yet encountered the type of notification you are asking about, but I thought they were known as "Heads Up Notifications". Unfortunately I've not found an obvious option for controlling these in the regular Settings (I have one in the root mods to my ROM, but that's obviously no help to you). The closest I've seen is Settings > Sound & notifications > App notifications, which lets you set notification options per app, including "Block" or "Priority". I've only been on Lollipop for 24 hours so far, so haven't had a chance to test exactly what these actually do yet, though I suspect that blocking Whatsapp notifications outright isn't what you want.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.

Turned the NFC off, not sure why it turned itself on.

See the screenshot of the notification issue. You can see the large whatsapp notification dominating the top part of the screen. Its very annoying

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-09-21-34-07.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-21-34-07.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately... my One M7 broke — so I was offered a replacement free of charge ( thanks to my tep insurance) from my local Sprint store. The problem is _ It's running kit Kat version ( 5.05.651.2) And I'm not able to update to Android version Lollipop (automatically or manually) ~ {which I had prior to replacing my phone} . After doing a Google search I found out that I'm not the only one with this problem — many other users (who recently gotten a new M7) are facing the same exact thing.

I called HTC and spoke with one of their Tec support concerning the problem — And was told to go ahead and download and install the current software update (on their website) available under Sprint HTC One device (which is the same as on my phone). He said that this was the maintenance update for lollipop and my device after successfully updated would be on Android version Lollipop.

Has anyone been told this before, and if so...was your device updated to "L" after doing this?

Upvote 0
I have used HTC exclusively since 2001. only with the nex 6 has that been changed.

that said, i have done this over the years (going to their site, grabbing updates) and manually installing them. this was before the android/iFruit days.

so yes it is possible once you grab the update, this will trigger the phone to goog's servers and you can then proceed with the latest firmware.

Reactions: Rush
Upvote 0
I have used HTC exclusively since 2001. only with the nex 6 has that been changed.

that said, i have done this over the years (going to their site, grabbing updates) and manually installing them. this was before the android/iFruit days.

so yes it is possible once you grab the update, this will trigger the phone to goog's servers and you can then proceed with the latest firmware.
The thing is...the recent update available on HTC website is the one I now have on my One M7. I download and installed the firmware — and just as I thought... I'm back to where I started (kit Kat). I have no clue on how to get this phone updated to lollipop — since the lollipop update for this phone is not available on HTC website. I guess I have to root this bad boy.

Update: Here is the latest information pass onto me today by a HTC tec supervisor — Sprint HTC One M7 was pulled from HTC website for tweaking, etc — all owners of the One M7 won't be able to update to the android lollipop version (automatically or manually). HTC and Google apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause. They also say they are working hard at fixing the problem and will release the update as soon as possible.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi there,
I've only just installed the Lollipop update on my HTC One - which I really like - but since doing so the Home button has been playing up.
Pressing it once still acts to take me to the Home screen (so the problem is unlikely to be a hardware issue) but a double-tap (to bring up the Recent Apps grid) and swiping up (to open Google Now) no longer works.
I found one thread on another forum where someone else is having the same problem - though there was no advice on how to solve it, and when I spoke to HTC support, they suggested doing a factory reset.
If needs be I will do that, but before doing so wanted to check whether others had had the same problem, or if anyone has any idea what might be causing the issue.
Many thanks. t

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to Android Forums :).

You could try a 'Wipe cache partition' first, it only takes a couple of minutes and doesn't affect your data or settings. I do it after every update and at intervals between updates and so far have avoided having to do a Factory Reset after OS updates. It has cleared a number of post update issues for me, similar to what you're experiencing, although the only thing I noticed after the update to 5.0.2 was a glitch with the weather/time widget, but it did clear that.

The procedure for 'wipe cache partition' has changed slightly after the last update and is as follows :-

Switch device off.

Press and hold Volume Down and Power, release them when you see the screen with three Androids on skateboards (takes about 20 seconds)

Tap Volume Down to highlight 'Recovery', tap Power to select.

After about 45 seconds 'Android system recovery' screen will come up. Tap Volume Down to highlight 'Wipe cache partition', tap Power to select.

Wait for 'cache wipe completed' at bottom of screen with 'Reboot system now' highlighted.

Tap Power to select.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
major updates can tangle things up under the hood. each phone is setup different from another, so there is no one stop shop/magic bullet to cure all of these little issues that can crop up.

its almost always advisable to do a factory reset when doing major updates.

you are welcomed to uninstall apps one by one and see if that cures it, or perhaps its a rogue app that's not yet optimized to work with the latest update. how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? ;-)

ASSuming no physical issues are present in your current hardware, a factory reset should clean things up.

Upvote 0
Hi. I have recently bought a 2013 HTC one m7 sprint and it has the initial release software on it. when I want to update my phone it downloads the first OTA which is the 1.29.651.10 version and when I try to install it the phone restarts and the it goes in recovery and it says installation aborted with the error can't mount SD card and file not found ... Does anyone know why this is happening? please help

Upvote 0
Ok, is it just me or is 5.0.2 buggy as f**k and far worse than the previous update?

My battery, which was working without fault - didn't miss a beat, now reports weird statues (it takes ages to charge up, one minute it says 60% then it's 40%, reboot and its 58%, it once even changed before my eyes).

Nothing has EVER gone wrong with my phone until this latest update.

I'm pretty sure its the updates fault and besides which I hate the interface and prefer whatever the previous version was.

How do I roll it back?

TIA

Upvote 0
You root and install a previous version.

That's going to remove your apps and data so you'll want a backup to practice.

Get Helium Backup from the Play Store, do a backup, factory data reset, and restore the backup. Note that you're expected to have your contacts sync'd to your Gmail account.

At this point most if not all of the bugs you're experiencing, especially with battery life, will be gone, unless your update download was bad.

Visit here to begin rooting -

http://androidforums.com/threads/the-htc-one-m8-root-thread.845182/

Reactions: JustAUserName
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones