• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTG - I dont get it.

Its hardly an experiment when you can use it on a regular basis. Mind as well complain to people replacing their gas pedals for chrome gas pedals for the same reason.

Some may say why leave your house with a tablet to watch a video because thats not practical either.

If you want a more practical solution than carrying a tiny cable and thumb drive for your video watching then why buy the N7 knowing full well that it doesn't have an SD card?

Because as I have stated, the 16gb is enough/workable for me. My initial post was to discover what OTG/Storage was all about and see if I was understanding correctly that you need a cable/reader.

Jeez - its like the bizarro world where I have to go over and over the same points :thinking:.

Doesn't anybody read anymore?

Upvote 0
Here you go. You'll see it looks pretty smug in front, but in back I think the USB port is too recessed. Might even be the cause of some of the voltage problems. I don't know. Remeber, all devices, even a microSD stick out from this, so in some ways it is more awkward than a USB-To-Go cable because you could be lulled into swinging it around too freely and whack! ;-)

Thanks!

I was expecting it to be the same width as the N7 - seems kind of bulky hanging off the N7 there.

Upvote 0
One problem is there aren't very many good BT mouse out there. Most decent ones like from logitech requires their unified receiver rather than BT. I wanted one and took forever to only find about 3 semi decent ones. Ultimately settled on a MS arc which still requires a unified receiver. Many BT mice have issues where it stays on unless you yank the battery or some silliness like that.
That's exactly the reason why I use a wired mouse and not a BT mouse.

Upvote 0
There are alot of other suggestions here also, OTG - I dont get it. (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page) ;)

Upvote 0
I like the quick responses from the mods :D i was gonna suggest an adapter that converts female usb to micro male usb. i paid a few bucks from amazon, trust me i found one shipping from Georgia and i got it in 4 days. Also DonB has reminded us there's a thread discussing this so i think i'm gonna merge it so that way all of us may continue to discuss this together with the rest of the folks here, if you are ok with this :D please dont hesitate to ask anymore questions :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. Although I'm not sure why this question was moved here at all.
What does this post:
"Hi all,

Recent N7 owner here. I love the device but admit it really needs an SD card feature. I have 16gb which is more than enough for everyday use but if I wanted to load ALL my music and a few movies, I could see where the space would soon be eaten up. I notice a lot of you are using the OTG cable and a card thumb-drive combo. Doesn't this defeat the object of the device though? Im not sure I want to carry a cable and thumb-drive around on the off-chance that I want to listen to certain albums.

Im not criticizing, just wondering why OTG is so popular As a CompSci professor once told me "Yes you can, but why would you"? Is that the attraction, the fact that its possible but at the end of the day, not very practical?

Thanks!"

Have to do with me asking for recommendations in order to buy a decent quality OTG cable?????

Upvote 0
I wonder if this will work on a Nexus 7?

sku_174106_1.jpg

The thing on the right is just an adapter, but the bit on the left is a OTG microUSB reader for microSD cards. Looks ideal to me.
I finally got this device from Honkong. It was mailed Febr. 22 and arrived today March 9. The bad part is that it does not work.

I plugged it into my Windows 7 PC and got 'Installing Driver'. So I was hopeful. But after that it does not show up anywhere - neither in Computer, nor in Disk Management nor in Device Manager.

After that I tried it on my Linux Mint system. There I got no reaction. Then I plugged it into the Nexus 7. It was recognized but neither the Media Importer nor Stickmount could do anything with it. The Media Importer tried at least to connect, but it did not work.

The mini USB to USB adaptor works. I tried that with the OTG cable and a full size stick.

So I guess I supported the Honkong economy with $5.60. Not a big deal but it would have been nice if the thing worked.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. Although I'm not sure why this question was moved here at all.
What does this post:
"Hi all,

Recent N7 owner here. I love the device but admit it really needs an SD card feature. I have 16gb which is more than enough for everyday use but if I wanted to load ALL my music and a few movies, I could see where the space would soon be eaten up. I notice a lot of you are using the OTG cable and a card thumb-drive combo. Doesn't this defeat the object of the device though? Im not sure I want to carry a cable and thumb-drive around on the off-chance that I want to listen to certain albums.

Im not criticizing, just wondering why OTG is so popular As a CompSci professor once told me "Yes you can, but why would you"? Is that the attraction, the fact that its possible but at the end of the day, not very practical?

Thanks!"

Have to do with me asking for recommendations in order to buy a decent quality OTG cable?????
cuz it was a general discussion about such accessories.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones