• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help outbound sms broke?

z4tuner

Lurker
Jan 3, 2011
hey guys, i just picked up a nexus s. everything works fine except for outbound text messaging. inbound seems to be ok. voice, data all work, just not sending sms.

any ideas for what i can look at or troubleshoot? im using a carrier called GCI in Alaska. texts work fine when i put my sim into another phone.

got it figured out. for anyone else that might be having the same issues, the SMSC number has to be entered in PDU hexadecimal. so once you find your carrier's SMSC number, just find a converter online, and plug the number in.

thats what i did and all is well now. i can finally enjoy my phone!

recap:
1. find carriers SMSC number (mine is +19074442504)
2. convert said number to PDU Hexadecimal format
3. from the keypad dial *#*#4636#*#*
4. go to phone information
5. scroll down to SMSC number
6. enter in the PDU/Hex number
7. hit update

this took me a several hours of troubleshooting and research. the other option is to put your sim card into a different phone that will allow you to change the SMSC number, and will take it in the normal format (no need to convert), save it, and plug the sim back into the nexus. i havent tried this, but it should work as well if you have another phone laying around. i think a blackberry would do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones