• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

outgoing mail going thru gmail?

varkie

Android Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2010
Michigan
I sent an email to a buddy's iPhone this weekend and it showed up as from my gmail account even though I don't even have that account setup on my phone. One of the problems is he can't respond to gmail's from his iPhone. Why is my Eris not sending email from my default account which is an @sbcglobal.net account. I just tried this by sending an email to one of my own accounts and it went through normally from my default account now I'm confused.

I'm not sure of the exact answer to your problem, but I just want to clarify that your statement "from my gmail account even though I don't even have that account setup on my phone" is inaccurate. You have to have a gmail account to sign in and turn your phone on, and that is also the default account for your e-mail.

Did you send through the Gmail app? Or through the stock Mail app? Might want to check your settings, and look up how to set up a POP3 account to make sure you did it correctly.

But lastly, the one that really boggles my mind... why is your friend unable to respond to a gmail address on his iPhone? That makes no sense... if it's e-mail, he should be able to send to any e-mail address.

Unless Apple really does hate Google that much, that they have now banned Google users from communicating with Apple users... Next, you won't even be able to call an iPhone from an Android phone ;) lol

Upvote 0
I use my Gmail account to sync my contacts and calender but do not use it for mail. In my mail accounts on the phone I have 3 accounts set up, none of them gmail, and they are all set up correctly.

What I did was I went into contacts and selected send an email to my friend and which ever program popped up by default was the one I used. Now for some reason when it sends email to my friends iPhone it shows up as being from myusername@gmail.com and not the default email account myusername@sbcglobal.net (I set this as the default in the settings option) this only seems to be a problem with his iPhone and not other email as I can send myself emails to all 3 of my accounts and they come from my default email.

So what I did was go into menu/settings/data sync/Google and turned off Gmail as I think having the sync enabled maybe causing the problems. We'll see if that works.

For the life of me I cannot find why his iPhone can not send email to Gmail accounts. In the Apple forums there are a lot of posts with issues with setting up and using Gmail accounts on an iPhone, something to do with POP and IMAP issues within Gmail itself, but nothing about my friends specific problem.

And I have to say this after setting up 3 iPhones at work for my bosses. They suck a**!! I love my Eris and its is so much nicer as opposed to the iPhone.

Upvote 0
Hmm I tried what you did, selecting to send an e-mail from the contact card. When I clicked that, it brought up a choice of which program to use: either compose in the Gmail app (red envelope icon) or the regular Mail app (mailbox icon). Do you get that on yours? Both apps come pre-installed on the phone, so you should have them...

Reactions: varkie
Upvote 0
I use my Gmail account to sync my contacts and calender but do not use it for mail. In my mail accounts on the phone I have 3 accounts set up, none of them gmail, and they are all set up correctly.

What I did was I went into contacts and selected send an email to my friend and which ever program popped up by default was the one I used. Now for some reason when it sends email to my friends iPhone it shows up as being from myusername@gmail.com and not the default email account myusername@sbcglobal.net (I set this as the default in the settings option) this only seems to be a problem with his iPhone and not other email as I can send myself emails to all 3 of my accounts and they come from my default email.

So what I did was go into menu/settings/data sync/Google and turned off Gmail as I think having the sync enabled maybe causing the problems. We'll see if that works.

For the life of me I cannot find why his iPhone can not send email to Gmail accounts. In the Apple forums there are a lot of posts with issues with setting up and using Gmail accounts on an iPhone, something to do with POP and IMAP issues within Gmail itself, but nothing about my friends specific problem.

And I have to say this after setting up 3 iPhones at work for my bosses. They suck a**!! I love my Eris and its is so much nicer as opposed to the iPhone.

I have been trying to set up my sbcglobal.net email on the phone, but cannot seem to get it. What are the settings, if you don't mind?

I want it as an option from the stock mail app, not from the browser, or the Yahoo mail app from the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones