• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Outlook OWA App

I was having the problem with my Xperia which is on ICS, I could not use the original ICS email app to log into QOWA through exchange, but via a brower by my phone I could. I noticed this was only at work though, outside of work I could have access..I had WiFi turned on for when at work, the WiFi was blocking access..turned off the WiFi and logged in perfectly.

Upvote 0
I am glad that someone else knows people that use the outlook mail pro on the iPhone. I just don't understand why that can't be ported over to android. Can a developer look into that. I did find one app but it used tons of data to keep me logged in but it would eventually log me off from the main log in. I have resorted to using the Web with clipper as someone suggested. That sucks. I thought there would be a developer to figure this one out. Outlook mail pro on iPhone. Why does it work.? Straight forward question. There is no need for a work around if we can figure it out. Significant market potential as everyone with an Android needs a reliable simple interface.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Good question. Is that really the case electric pete? Do all developers get access to or have access to your login and password info.? Is that stored? If that is the case then I'm sure companies would have blocked access entirely. Iphone or not. Still lookin for someone to comment on why Outlook mail pro for iPhone works.

Upvote 0
I think you hit the nail on the head. IT policy might allow a secure login, but would not allow you continuous access. You need to login each time you want to access email, then get logged out when you close the browser, shut down the device or if you get timed out.

There is similar policy in place where I work requiring a fresh secure login whenever I need to access email. Just be glad you don't have to answer a rotating security question after the initial login, followed by a 2nd login including domain/username....

Actually I do Jon and that is why it is so painful. But it works like a charm on the iPhone. I would never get rid of my galaxy but the fact that we don't have a play here is frustrating.

Upvote 0
Good question. Is that really the case electric pete?
If the application has internet acess and you type your username and password into it, what's to prevent the app from sending that info to developer???

Perhaps each app is worth separate discussion, but I'll talk about Mobile Access Lite that I linked above, because that's the one that caught my interest. I haven't looked at them all.

We rely on certain things to help us be safe:
* Open source is good. Not the case here.
* Reputable established developer is good. But this is the first published product by this developer. This probably a wonderful person who has hard to give us a great product for free or a pittance... but I don't know any of them msyelf and while trust is good in interpersonal relationships it doesn't always translate to relationships with people you know absolutely nothing about.
* High usage by a lot of people over a long time is good. Odds are that some of the more tech savvy people would eventually discover this kind of thing. Perhaps through packet sniffing or something like that. This app has relatively few downloads/rankings.

Do all developers get access to or have access to your login and password info.?
As stated above, you typed your username and password in to their application which has internet access. That should give them access I'd think.
Is that stored?
Good point. If you only enter it once and the program remembers it, then stored. I guess we'd need to look at whether the stored version is encrypted to understand vulnerabilities, which may extend beyond the original developer to other snooping programs if they can access unencrypted username/password.
If that is the case then I'm sure companies would have blocked access entirely. Iphone or not.
I think the IT department is assuming that you do your part to prevent leaks on your side. That means that you protect your username password by only entering it into a reputable browser. That's what I'd think. I'm going to ask my IT guy, suggest you do the same.

=================================================
If I'm missing something, please someone explain why we should entrust one of our most valuable username/password combinations to a developer where the only thing we know about developer is his gmail account, he has only one app, and the app has relatively few users / rankings.

I am not really trying to convince anyone else. I am actually fishing for arguments on the other side. I'd love to download one of these Apps so I don't have to enter my credentials to OWA every time. At this point I can't do it in clear conscience but would love to understand if/why that would be a safe thing to do.

Upvote 0
I use Touchdown but I'm not crazy about it. It's interface is prehistoric and clumsy. Trying Moxier now. Much better interface but I miss the message notification detail. You just know you have mail. Those are the best imo when your IT admin requires a passcode as you don't lockdown your entire phone. Enhanced Email simply bypases the passcode as does Mobimail. I would use either over TD but I want to comply with company policy.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Moxier looks like they have been around awhile and sounds good from your description.
A quick look at permissions shows they're asking for a lot.

Code:
YOUR ACCOUNTS
ADD OR REMOVE ACCOUNTS
Allows the app to perform operations like adding and removing accounts, and deleting their password.
CREATE ACCOUNTS AND SET PASSWORDS
Allows the app to use the account authenticator capabilities of the AccountManager, including creating accounts and getting and setting their passwords.
SERVICES THAT COST YOU MONEY
DIRECTLY CALL PHONE NUMBERS
Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Note that this doesn't allow the app to call emergency numbers. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.
YOUR MESSAGES
READ YOUR TEXT MESSAGES (SMS OR MMS)
Allows the app to read SMS messages stored on your tablet or SIM card. This allows the app to read all SMS messages, regardless of content or confidentiality. Allows the app to read SMS messages stored on your phone or SIM card. This allows the app to read all SMS messages, regardless of content or confidentiality.
EDIT YOUR TEXT MESSAGES (SMS OR MMS)
Allows the app to write to SMS messages stored on your tablet or SIM card. Malicious apps may delete your messages. Allows the app to write to SMS messages stored on your phone or SIM card. Malicious apps may delete your messages.
RECEIVE TEXT MESSAGES (SMS)
Allows the app to receive and process SMS messages. This means the app could monitor or delete messages sent to your device without showing them to you.
NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL NETWORK ACCESS
Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
READ YOUR CONTACTS
Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge. Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.
MODIFY YOUR CONTACTS
Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data. Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data.
READ CALENDAR EVENTS PLUS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
Allows the app to read all calendar events stored on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to share or save your calendar data, regardless of confidentiality or sensitivity. Allows the app to read all calendar events stored on your phone, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to share or save your calendar data, regardless of confidentiality or sensitivity.
ADD OR MODIFY CALENDAR EVENTS AND SEND EMAIL TO GUESTS WITHOUT OWNERS' KNOWLEDGE
Allows the app to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge. Allows the app to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your phone, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge.
PHONE CALLS
READ PHONE STATUS AND IDENTITY
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
STORAGE
MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
Allows the app to write to the USB storage. Allows the app to write to the SD card.
SYSTEM TOOLS
PREVENT TABLET FROM SLEEPING PREVENT PHONE FROM SLEEPING
Allows the app to prevent the tablet from going to sleep. Allows the app to prevent the phone from going to sleep.
MAKE APP ALWAYS RUN
Allows the app to make parts of itself persistent in memory. This can limit memory available to other apps slowing down the tablet. Allows the app to make parts of itself persistent in memory. This can limit memory available to other apps slowing down the phone.
TOGGLE SYNC ON AND OFF
Allows an app to modify the sync settings for an account. For example, this can be used to enable sync of the People app with an account.
Hide
YOUR ACCOUNTS
ACT AS THE ACCOUNTMANAGERSERVICE
Allows the app to make calls to AccountAuthenticators.
FIND ACCOUNTS ON THE DEVICE
Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the tablet. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed. Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.
HARDWARE CONTROLS
CONTROL VIBRATION
Allows the app to control the vibrator.
NETWORK COMMUNICATION
VIEW NETWORK CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
VIEW WI-FI CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and name of connected Wi-Fi devices.
SYSTEM TOOLS
RUN AT STARTUP
Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the tablet and allow the app to slow down the overall tablet by always running. Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the phone and allow the app to slow down the overall phone by always running.
CLOSE OTHER APPS
Allows the app to end background processes of other apps. This may cause other apps to stop running.
READ SYNC SETTINGS
Allows the app to read the sync settings for an account. For example, this can determine whether the People app is synced with an account.
TEST ACCESS TO PROTECTED STORAGE TEST ACCESS TO PROTECTED STORAGE
Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be available on future devices. Allows the app to test a permission for the SD card that will be available on future devices.
READ CALL LOG
Allows the app to read your tablet's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge. Allows the app to read your phone's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.
WRITE CALL LOG
Allows the app to modify your tablet's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. Malicious apps may use this to erase or modify your call log. Allows the app to modify your phone's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. Malicious apps may use this to erase or modify your call log
Similar permissions for Touchdown.

Upvote 0
As someone who has been thwarted constantly by this same issue, I felt the need to make an account to let everyone know about the app Outlook Web Mobile. It cost $4.99 at the time of this posting and is the only app that even remotely solves this issue. I work for a government agency (not any fancy top secret kind) and I need to have access to my email to stay on top of what's happening but IT only grants Exchange access to devices they purchased, and I'm not high enough on the food chain to be given a device.

This app is fully functional and basically presents you with a reflowed version of the standard OWA. It can auto login, so you don't have to keep typing your username/password. Also it has notification support (no push unfortunately) and what it calls "Off Time", which allows you to set times it shouldn't check for new mail (like when you're off). I'm still holding out hope for a more native style app but this is the best option I've found.

So anyway, I hope this helps someone out since this thread gave me the leads I needed to find it. If nothing else, you can do like I did with a couple other apps (Outlook Live Web App Mobile) and test it out really quick taking advantage of the Play Stores 15 minute refund policy. So yea, hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0
As someone who has been thwarted constantly by this same issue, I felt the need to make an account to let everyone know about the app Outlook Web Mobile. It cost $4.99 at the time of this posting and is the only app that even remotely solves this issue. I work for a government agency (not any fancy top secret kind) and I need to have access to my email to stay on top of what's happening but IT only grants Exchange access to devices they purchased, and I'm not high enough on the food chain to be given a device.

I have used MobiMail for Android for a month now and it can do most of what you are looking for simply based on OWA access. The only piece that I am missing is full calendar synch between Android calendar and OWA calendar. Minor issue as I can already access the corporate calendar through the app but full local agenda synch would make it 5 stars. Haven't found any app that can do it all yet though but this one is the closest to perfection at the moment IMHO.

Upvote 0
Given all the technology advance within Chrome as well as the android platform, I am still shocked that Chrome and OWA apps do not have the capability (I could be wrong but I tried everything)to save passwords on multiple log-in screens rooted from one main website.

Here is what I mean in detail as I don't know what your company's owa site is comprised of.

Here is the support ticket I sent Google with reference to chrome. This is why no apps will work for me. I will say that OWA outlook mail recommended recently did work. However it took a significant amount of data to keep me logged in and then will eventually log out. The iPhone I reference is gold. Once again why does that work?

I have a main login page that requires a username & password. I type them in and Chrome remembers them.

I am then directed to a security question type screen. Here Chrome fails to identify this as a new website (although URL is different) and hence does not save the info.

I am then directed to a third website where I have another set out domain and password to fill. Here again Chrome fails to recognize new URL and fails to save info.

I believe there should be a quick fix. Either that or a new autofill ability where you would actually be able to enter in the fields and the info. Consider it a custom autofill capability.

Any body have some suggestions. I currently use clipper to store and paste info.

Upvote 0
Any IT department employee will tell you it is not allowed because it is foreign to them and they just want to over comply. You need to search for some answers on tech forums etc. I am sure we would all love to know what you find out.
I would respectfully suggest it is a rationalization to assign an invalidating motive to the IT department who gave me this info. There is a risk in giving your user-name password to a program, compounded many times if the author of that program is not traceable as an accountable person or company. With your user name and password,outsiders may have access not just to your work email but to your company network. I’ll add that you are required to check a a box on the OWA sign-in page indicating that your computing device meets company security standards... so this can be certainly viewed as willful violation of company policy. An administrative violation on your part with potentially severe consequences for the company.

I found an alternate coping strategy: I have a “rule” in my work outlook account which automatically forwards all received emails to my personal gmail. I have a “rule” in my personal gmail which takes all messages coming from my work email and removes them from my inbox and then stuffs them into a separate "work" folder. That works very well to let me check in in to keep up with late-breaking news on nights/weekends (which is somewhat important for me). It also works (unexpectedly) to post all my incoming work meeting invitations to my gmail calendar which gives me pre-meeting reminders on my phone (except for meetings that I set up myself on my work calendar... have to invite myself to make that work). It doesn't work so well for responding to emails (if while scanning my forwarded work mails in personal email I see somehting I want to respond to, I generally log into OWA to respond) or keeping track of what has been read and what hasn’t (my gmail doesn’t show what has been read by my outlook and vice versa). So it’s better than nothing, but not an ideal solution by a longshot.

If others prefer to use one of these programs, I understand perfectly why (convenience). I’ll admit I’m tempted to do it myself (use one of these programs) even though I know it’s a violation because the odds of being “caught” and then held accountable are miniscule. I have to weight to benefit (convenience) against the risks (tiny but potentially severe). My personal risk / benefit analysis steers me clear of these programs. I can understand others may have different circumstances (for example need to reply frequently) and make different choices based on those circumstances.

Upvote 0
I use OWA to access my work Outlook account and have two constant problems on JB 4.1.1.

1) Downloads don't - I click on the link and it goes to 'waiting - 0%' and stays there.
2) when I reply to a mail, if I take more than about 30 seconds I get 'cannot be completed - you have updated this account on another computer'.

On the other hand I use Outlook OWA on my personal e-mail account without these problems. Any ideas anyone?

Upvote 0
I use OWA to access my work Outlook account and have two constant problems on JB 4.1.1.

1) Downloads don't - I click on the link and it goes to 'waiting - 0%' and stays there.
2) when I reply to a mail, if I take more than about 30 seconds I get 'cannot be completed - you have updated this account on another computer'.

On the other hand I use Outlook OWA on my personal e-mail account without these problems. Any ideas anyone?

Hey Stoker, welcome to the AndroidForums! :)

Which device do you have? (I'm guessing it's not the Eris since I don't believe it's gotten a JellyBean update ;) :)).

I'm going to go-ahead and move yours and my posts to this thread:

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/507624-outlook-owa-app.html

in our Android Applicationsl area. If that discussion in there doesn't seem right, let me know and/or go-ahead and post a new thread in the AA area.

Cheers and best of luck!

Upvote 0
Any IT department employee will tell you it is not allowed because it is foreign to them and they just want to over comply.

err no.

Any IT department may tell you that because they might see the bigger picture when it comes to data security / privacy ;) as opposed to something that some 'unknown' developer has put together that could do goodness knows what with a connection into the company email system.....

Lots of companies I know have rolled out enterprise solutions such as Good
Secure Mobile Email | Enterprise Mobile Email Security | Good to allow users access to their email systems with a secure client that protects both the company and end users.

Upvote 0
Hi Scary:

I'm using a Galaxy Tab 2 with JB 4.1.1 and Dolphin browser.
What's odd is that it all works fine on my personal OWA - attachments download and there's no timeout problem. These only happen on my work mail.

Hello! :)

Yeah, I'm not at all conversant with OWA or using Outlook-related stuff on my Android devices, so I'm going to have to rely on the other experts that are hopefully in this thread and/or forum area.

Best of luck--hoping someone will chime-in :).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones