• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking help

jdugan26

Jun 27, 2010
PA
Obviously, I'm rooted. Pretend I'm 10 years old and explain how I overclock my device please? Not sure I'm doing it correctly, doesn't seem faster. Currently I am running Kings Unleashed R3 Blakk with the Blue Ballah Theme...I would like my device to run much faster while I'm using it, and do basically nothing when the screen is off. But the SetCPU app doesn't "overclock" it correct? Just underclocks and adjustments for when it's not being used.

Obviously, I'm rooted. Pretend I'm 10 years old and explain how I overclock my device please? Not sure I'm doing it correctly, doesn't seem faster. Currently I am running Kings Unleashed R3 Blakk with the Blue Ballah Theme...I would like my device to run much faster while I'm using it, and do basically nothing when the screen is off. But the SetCPU app doesn't "overclock" it correct? Just underclocks and adjustments for when it's not being used.

Setcpu will overclock. You would have to flash a custom kernel of which Netarchy kernels are very good. http://www.qap.la/~netarchy/

The stock kernel which most roms come with can not be overclocked.

When setting up setcpu, you need to leave "set on boot" unchecked til you find out if your settings will work with your phone. Most phones can go to 1152 while there are a few that can go to 1190. Anything higher than that and you phone will likely bootloop and be difficult to fix.

Upvote 0
Ok, when looking at these kernels I almost blew my head off, lol. Could you explain the differences in the kernels

I have had very good luck with the 4.3.1-CFS-Havs kernels. I use one on my wife's phone with no issues at all running Mikfroyo. I have not tried any of the newer ones as I have been running AOSP roms for a while now and these do not work with them.

Here is a link to a thread about kernels: [GUIDE]

Reactions: jdugan26
Upvote 0
Brain **** Scheduler FTW! lol I just like the name...anyhow what hardware are you running using 4.3.1. At some point the camera hdw was updated and the net kernel is incompatible. I have 004 and i cant run 4.3.1 i dont think, it may have been a 4.2.x or older though i just cant remember.

My wife just got her's in February I think so I assume it is 004. Mine is 003 but I got mine back in October. I will check her's when she gets home from Tennessee this weekend. I don't think she has had any issues with it not working though.

Upvote 0
So, what's the indication that the kernel will be "friendly" with my device. I know some kernels work with some devices and not with others...Is there something I need to check to see if it's good?

If it is not going to "play" well with your phone, you will likely get random reboots or bootloops when starting it up. You should know pretty quick if it is going to have issues. Just make sure to make a nandroid before you flash it(or anything for that matter).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones