• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Paid App Dissapointment

Moxymo69

Oct 27, 2008
So i've had paid apps for about 4 days now, NOTHING cool has come out. I feel like im loosing hope of great apps that flourish in the iphone world. Does anyone know anything about upcoming apps that might spark some excitement?

PS Where the hell is Biowallet??? Only potential cool app i've seen

4 days, really, wow, that's a really long wait.:eek: :D

But seriously. If you have the same complaint in 4 months, then disappointment is warranted. Rome wasn't built in a day, or a month, or a year. Wanna know why there are so many flashlight, tip calculator, notepad apps? Because they are easier and faster to design. Everything else takes time. Flash won't be out until the end of the year, and that's just a simple player, and it's going to be free, anything worth paying for is going to take some time.

Upvote 0
4 days, really, wow, that's a really long wait.:eek: :D

But seriously. If you have the same complaint in 4 months, then disappointment is warranted. Rome wasn't built in a day, or a month, or a year. Wanna know why there are so many flashlight, tip calculator, notepad apps? Because they are easier and faster to design. Everything else takes time. Flash won't be out until the end of the year, and that's just a simple player, and it's going to be free, anything worth paying for is going to take some time.

I agree ... and even many of the paid apps are not better than the Free... so I think dev's will have a rude awakeing when their sales dont equal effort .... many will be disappointed because of slow sales growth ... and users will be disappointed by quickly available useful apps ... vicious circle ... for me it is a wait and see ... although with no smile on my face ... :thinking:

Upvote 0
So i've had paid apps for about 4 days now, NOTHING cool has come out. I feel like im loosing hope of great apps that flourish in the iphone world. Does anyone know anything about upcoming apps that might spark some excitement?

PS Where the hell is Biowallet??? Only potential cool app i've seen

Biowallet is a strange example .... I have been on their mailing list since before launch of the G1 and have not recieve one update as to their progress or intent .... On the Main Page ... they went from saying the couldn't get a real handset for testing ... to (recently) we have a phone and we hope we dont find to many problems .... hopefully they will come to market with a Stellar app .. at a fair price ... I will buy it if it delivers on what they have show-cased...

Upvote 0
I know that patience is a virtue, but at the same time the developers for all these potential apps have had a good amount of time it seems like, i mean ever sense the launch of the G1 and probably a couple months before that. I mean if u go to google right now and type in android apps, they'll be about 5 articles that date between aug and sept. all with list of top apps to come out for android, half of the apps on those list havent even came out yet. It just seems dis hearting. I know im not a developer and i probably dont realize the amount of time it takes, but still throw us a bone here. Give us something to be excited about, cause all the talk about "cupcake" and potential apps is making me sick. Android hasn't shown me anything yet that has made me say, this WILL be better then the iphone. But i hope soon they will

Upvote 0
I know that patience is a virtue, but at the same time the developers for all these potential apps have had a good amount of time it seems like, i mean ever sense the launch of the G1 and probably a couple months before that. I mean if u go to google right now and type in android apps, they'll be about 5 articles that date between aug and sept. all with list of top apps to come out for android, half of the apps on those list havent even came out yet. It just seems dis hearting. I know im not a developer and i probably dont realize the amount of time it takes, but still throw us a bone here. Give us something to be excited about, cause all the talk about "cupcake" and potential apps is making me sick. Android hasn't shown me anything yet that has made me say, this WILL be better then the iphone. But i hope soon they will
Coming from a developer, that's not that much time to come up with a good app. You have to take some things into consideration.

First, there were probably quite a few developers who wanted to see if Android really stood a chance at competing...or if it would even hit the market.

Second, while it is Java, it's still a new Framework for people to learn. I've been working with MS's .NET Framework for almost 6 years and their SharePoint API for almost 3 and I'm STILL learning many things every day.

Third, not everyone has great ideas and/or the ability to execute them well. I've known many developers who can hack the code, but it's not efficient. There's also those who just can't come up with the ideas. I tend to fall into that category. Most of the ideas I have aren't all that new. I can see where to make up for lost functionality, but I usually need something to "jump-start" my creative side.

The apps will come. If it's still a sad showing when my contract runs out, then maybe I'll switch to WM7 as that sounds like it's going to be pretty cool. However, I'm not giving up hope and the push GMail is the best functionality I could have had.

Upvote 0
Get your G1, click the "Gmail/Calendar/IM" buttons and there you have it. A clear feature that makes it OWN over any arse of an iPhone. Syncing with Google is the ultimate winnar on this phone for me. If you don't like that? How about the "Mount as USB Drive" button? How about the charging via miniUSB? How about the HUGE amount of free apps? How about the fact that you don't have to deal with all that Apple BS crap like DRM'ed music or iTunes programs or the such. How about the fact that you can get apps that Apple would never allow into their Apps Store? .. I could go on but I won't. Anyone else want to add numerous other features the G1 has over the iPhone that they love? How about a keyboard! :D (ok so I did one more.. sue me!)

ITS NOT AN
APPLE
PRODUCT !!!!!!!!

That is one of the top reasons to own the G1.

Upvote 0
Well, personally, I have "bought" a few items that were basically paid/donation versions of apps that I had free, that I use every day. I think it is fair to programmers that make free apps, that I use every day, to repay their work a bit.

Personally, I am very glad that they are going the free/donation route too. I know a month ago, I could not afford to donate... now, in a better situation, I have no problems doing so, and jumped on it.

I HAVE noticed that the paid apps I like, are the ones that were free, though... the strictly pay ones I have seen so far, are pretty much shovelware.

Upvote 0
I have bought quite a few applications and I like them. I knew what I was getting when I bought them, so no disappointment there...

Also, the games are starting to get really good on these devices. And with Android 2.0 coming out and more powerful processors being put into these phones, I think it is only going to get better.

Stick with Android, it will pay off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones