• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PandaHome versus GDE? Or Alternative Home Replacement?

What is the best Home replacement for Droid?

• Total voters
Yea....after my lengthy review of Pandahome it really really started to crash more often.....no force closes just crashing and refreshing every single time I edited an icon or added a widget. It was...TERRIBLE. so I finally jumped onto the Home++ bandwagon....and I can say that I like it. its a little crowded and and missing my awesome side vertical scrolling docks but other than that i can get used to it. Its soooo much more stable too. It has force closed and crashed on me but not nearly as much as Pandahome. So there you have it folks....HOME++ ROCKS!

Upvote 0
I've definitely decided that Home++ and GDE are the leading home screen replacements at this point as far as I'm concerned.

I've been going back and forth - right now I'm on GDE because Home++ was force-closing on me after the 2.01 update, and the Fade transition in GDE is drop-dead fast.

Both are very good, and results seem to vary between people who find one or the other works better for them. Home++ has the very convenient app doc at the bottom of every screen and can hide the notification bar, and GDE has the custom Conversation widget and cool Cube and Stretch transitions.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I was wondering why iot takes so much longer for the app to load (when dock is lifeted) than most other launchers?

PLEASE don't get me wrong, I like this app, I've tried GDE (ok but, limited), Home++ (lags big time for me, do like the dock and that it changes with orientation), dxTop (some nice idea's/features, but after un-installing, and reinstalling its not as snappy as the first time I installed it). I miss any???

I would like to find a few nice themes for Panda, the ones I have found are not professional looking, maybe if they were more HD quality, they look to cartoonist for my taste...

AGAIN don't get me wrong the found themes probably have a very nice following, just not for me...

Thanks

Upvote 0
I have GDE and I love it!! Great app. I tried the rest, the major ones ofcourse, but GDE is the best for me. But i was wondering does anyone know how to change the top bar color. I love GDE themse but they show some with black bars but they stay grey/silver.

I really like GDE also, esp. after this last update (on 5-19) ... it's faster, smoother, and added lots of useful functionality.

re: black notification bar... I set out early last week to do this. I use the Hero theme (w/ dark gray persistent menu bar at bottom w/ phone/Menu/settings buttons), I changed to the dark gray "concrete wall" wallpaper from the standard w.p. list, and am very happy with all that, except for the white notif. bar.

So I set out last week to find out how to make it black... it's still white, but I'm a lot closer now :)...

I've downloaded the Android SDK and learned to use ADB (with help from past posts here), flashed SBRecovery, done a nandroid backup, rooted my 2.1 Droid the "easy" way, loaded a 1 ghz. P3designs kernel, and installed several root-only apps. I've installed ROM Manager, but just don't want to go down that road yet.

Using GDE w/ overclocked kernel is fast, and right now I'm happy as can be... except for that blasted white notification bar!!

But I'll get there... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones