• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

parameters

webrod

Lurker
Nov 22, 2011
Hi,

I am a newbie with android.
I'de like to know if an application has the possibility to get parameters?

I have an automation software that allows me to run an application from my tablet by pushing a button.

I can provide the path of the application with, I beleive parameters.

Does it work like windows?

myapp param1 param2?

actually I am looking for a software that would play music from my tablet and accept parameters so I could select a playlist of a list of mp3 files when I call the software from another software.

BTW,
how do I know the name of the application to call (with windows, I go to program files, I search the software folder, then I search for the xxx.exe file, or I can read from the shortcut if there is one from the start menu or desktop).
But with android, what is the procedure?

thanks a lot.
Rod

In Android the software would need to accept Intents that would trigger the task.

Are you asking as a developer or as a user though? As the answer to your question is very different depending on what you're trying to do :)

as a user.
I did a test with Talk, and it didn't ask.
(or maybe the very first time only and I don't remember).
But now it does not ask.
i just entered "talk" in the "path" field (I am using HSTouch as a client of HomeSeer, the home automation software)

thanks
Rod

Upvote 0
Yep as sohguanh said, it's possible for a dev to implement. An example is putting a shortcut on your desktop. That's basically sending a "parameter" to the browser to launch that particular page.

This is much the same as Windows, in that a dev would need to plan to accept the parameter, or it wouldnt do much.

However it's a bit different for Android, in that the dev has to set up a way for users to make shortcuts. You cant just add a shortcut to the screen, and add data to it like windows ("myprogram.exe" -launchbig)

Rather the dev needs to provide a list of available "parameters" to the Android OS in a way that allows the user to select a specific parameter as a shortcut.

All that said, you should be able to make a playlist and save it -- then later add it as a shortcut with most media players out there (though maybe not stock or Google Music)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones