• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help People vs Contacts

wagado

Lurker
May 5, 2010
I use my gmail contact list on my phone. Ever since in synced up with gmail I have my contacts. If i use the "search people" icon I see all my contacts. If I use the "People" icon. I only have a fraction of my contacts in the list. What is the difference between the two sets?

Thanks

I use my gmail contact list on my phone. Ever since in synced up with gmail I have my contacts. If i use the "search people" icon I see all my contacts. If I use the "People" icon. I only have a fraction of my contacts in the list. What is the difference between the two sets?

Thanks

Anything that is synced with gmail is viewed and managed by the gMail application. Any contacts added as a "phone" contact, Exchange Contacts, and POP3/IMAP contacts are viewed and managed by the HTC applications and widgets - People, HTC Mail, etc.

Edit: If you synced your Facebook and Twitter contacts, they are also viewed and managed by the HTC applications and widgets.

Upvote 0
That sounds strange to me. I never entered any contacts into my phone. I had used Verizon's "Backup assistant" and exported all the contacts from my old phone and imported them into my Gmail contact list, edited it and then synced it up with my Incredible.

All of my Contacts show up in both locations. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I Figured it out. I reloaded my contacts via a CSV file. One of the fields in the sheet had to contain "My Contacts" for each name. Once I did that and re-imported, it worked. They all show up in People and People Search

I did what you did - backup assistant to csv - then import csv to gmail in preparation for this phone. Can you provide more details on this "My contacts"? what field was this? Perhaps it will fix some of my issues as well with contacts not showing up where they should.

Upvote 0
Is this the only way to sync your contacts with Google contacts? I was hoping that my phone would update my Google contacts with the contacts I had on my phone. That's what I assumed the syncing option was for, but when I choose to sync on my phone to Google contacts, I don't see the updated information when I go to GMail-->contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones