• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

People Widget and Contacts question...

Hi guys/gals :)

Got a Desire last week, and it's my first smartphone so am on a bit of a learning curve, but the phone does rock.

Anyway, I'm a little confused with regards to the People Widget.

I have it configured on one of my home screens and its linked to my Gmail contacts account. I have set my favourites (grouped as 'Starred in Android')
and synched the favourites to go to that group when you first set it up.

Now, the phone also has 3 duplicate contacts in the list - all of the duplicates look like they've come from Facebook, but I can't get rid of them from the list.

At first I thought that the phone was trying to synch my gmail contacts with my facebook contacts, but then it hasn't done all of my Facebook contacts that match the contacts in my Gmail.

I'm a bit confused as to how they've got in there.

I've tried resysnching Gmail and Facebook, removed the People widget and re-added it, I've checked everything in my Gmail contacts but can't see anything un-toward, I've tried having background data sync enabled and disabled whilst trying to remove these to no avail.

I still can't seem to remove these 3 duplicate entries.

Anyone know what's going on?

TIA

:)

In "people", press menu>view. Look to see if google only is ticked. Also, show only contacts with phone numbers

Also go into one of the peopel who has duplicates and press the link button. Are they linked to facebook? If not, it may be worth doing that.

Hi, thanks for that.

Yeah I had checked that Menu>View before, but neglected to mention it.
It didn't help :(

And as for the Link option, yeah I've gone through the contacts and nothing is linked to anything.

Very odd.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for that.

Yeah I had checked that Menu>View before, but neglected to mention it.
It didn't help :(

And as for the Link option, yeah I've gone through the contacts and nothing is linked to anything.

Very odd.

If nothing is linked, you need to link them. Unlinked contacts become "duplicates" and linking them merges them.

Also double check you have no duplicates in gmail itself.

Reactions: JustAUserName
Upvote 0
Cool. let me know how you get on.

Ok, yeah, it links them.

But, and I'm a little confused still here, so my apologies if this just sounds like the ramblings of a idiot.

Why did it not insert a duplicate for the other contacts that matched between Gmail and Facebook?

If the Gmail contacts and Facebook contacts are linked, will that start sucking data down to show me their status's etc...?

:thinking:

Upvote 0
Basically, for every contact from every source (facebook, google etc), there is a seperate contact but if you link them they become one, with multiple contact details.

Yes, you will get data like status etc, but if you have facebook contacts already, you are already getting this. If its linked to google contact you wil see it there, if not just in the FB one.

Reactions: JustAUserName
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones