• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone app on newer phones?

I am thinking about getting a new Android phone and have a concern. Let me explain my current phone setup, then ask the question.

My current phone is a rooted Google Pixel 3XL running Android version 9. I have turned off automatic updates, in part, because if Phone by Google updates to a version newer than 65.0.370544174, the newer version insists on being made the default phone app. I use True Phone as my phone app, but need Phone by Google to a) easily listen to voice mail and b) marks callers as spam.

My concern is that I may not be able to run the older version of Phone by Google on a new phone and would lose the ability to use True Phone. Is my concern valid? If it is, what set of apps would you recommend I use?

So long as you don't buy a newer Pixel just find the APK file of the Phone by Google app version you prefer (likely on a site such as apkmirror.com or apkpure.com), turn on 'unknown sources' in Security settings, open your preferred file manager app and tap the APK and hit install. I've been 'sideloading' like this since I don't even use Play Store or app stores.

I've had zero issues running a ton of ancient apps on modern Android (though I prefer my S4 Mini and older Galaxy Tabs that don't go higher than 4.0-4.4). I've had a collection of APKs from the Android 2.3 era that I backed up from my rooting endeavors, and still use. Many games and some paid apps that got removed from Google Play. They are also great ways to skeuomorph modern versions of Android and hide the 'flat' UI.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones