• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone calls kill my battery

Hmm... The Droid 2 and Droid X are supposed to have the best talk times according to Anandtech's testing.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4059/34580.png
34580.png

Upvote 0
If you have a weak signal, the battery will drain quickly, no matter what phone you have. I live in an area where at home my signal strength is alway around -95 dBm. Every phone I have owned had a rapid battery drain when making calls from home. I often use wifi and skype while at home to make calls. Doesn't drain the battery as quickly.

Upvote 0
If I dont make any phone calls on my X, the battery will last about 2 days. Thats with alot of e-mails, facebook and a few other things with the browser. If I make or receive a few calls, my battery wont last a day. I have great signal strength. Anyone else have this issue?

Are you kidding me? Seriously?

You are complaining your device only goes two days. Apparently this is your first smartphone because you clearly have plain jane phone expectations.

Here is my advice: return the Droid X. Get a Gusto. Worry about charging it every 6 days and then ask yourself why you got this phone in the first place.

I am a heavy user and if I can get 6 hours, then I am happy. 2 days? lmao.

Upvote 0

You are complaining your device only goes two days. Apparently this is your first smartphone because you clearly have plain jane phone expectations.

Here is my advice: return the Droid X. Get a Gusto. Worry about charging it every 6 days and then ask yourself why you got this phone in the first place.

lrn2reed

If I dont make any phone calls on my X, the battery will last about 2 days. Thats with alot of e-mails, facebook and a few other things with the browser. If I make or receive a few calls, my battery wont last a day. I have great signal strength. Anyone else have this issue?

Mine is the same way. That is, calls take a seemingly disproportionate amount of juice compared to other operations. More so than my previous android phone, which had a smaller screen. It's just the way it is, but good job getting a free battery out of it.

Upvote 0

Re read the post. It clearly states that with phone calls the battery won't last an entire day. The two days is without making phone calls.

That aside...
I rarely ever use my phone but with a few calls I don't notice much of a difference.

Upvote 0

I had the original Droid over a year and a half ago and that battery sometimes lasted almost 2 days also with moderate use. All I am saying is that my X battery used to last longer when making calls. Now when I make about an hour worth of calls, the battery dies quicker now.

Upvote 0
Alright people, just want to leave a comment warning here just in case this thread heads south. Remember that argue the member's post and not insult the member. If you have nothing useful or nice to post, post nothing at all!!! Keep it civilized, clean and nice. If you find a post offensive, please use the REPORT button and do not reply it and make the situation worst.

I know with my Nexus One, making phone calls can dramatically eat away at the phone's battery. 1hr will do 1/3 of the battery life. Of course it's not surprising to see that it's listed as the one of the worst phone call performers in Anandtech's testing.

Cheers,
-Roze-

Upvote 0
Is your screen turning off while it is against your ear(proximity sensor working?). Please tell me you aren't one of those that pulls the phone away from your face to speak into it. What is up with that anyway? And, no they aren't on the speaker phone.

The screen is turning off. I use the speaker phone once in a while when driving, but I turn off the screen during those times. Its driving me crazy how fast my battery dies when making calls. Other than that I have no other problems. No force closes, freeze ups, nothing

Upvote 0
Just made a call that lasted 4 minutes. Phone just unplugged at 100%. Went down to 90% with the battery usage showing 41%. If I did not make that call, my batery would be at 100% for at least 3-4 hours of small time stuff like FB and e-mail checks. This is with the new battery Verizon just gave me. I know that my calls did not do this before the last update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones