• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone calls

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
Rooted Nexus 4 - just installed CM 11.
There is absolutely no volume on phone for calls, callee's phone rings, but I can't hear the ringing, and the callee can't hear me.

Checked out all the sound on the phone. The phone recorder works, I have a baseball app that shows video highlights, sound plays, mp3s play. Ringtones work.

It has to be the phone itself.

After installing CM11, I looked at available networks for TMobile. Metro PCS LTE was preselected. It's the first in the list - so is that the default or does the phone think I'm on LTE? There is no selection for GSM/HSPDA which I have. I can use the regular TMO APN, but no sound in calls. The other phone spec is UMTS.

I can send and receive texts, so I don't think it's TMO, unless they have updated towers to LTE. I notice 2G says no service, and TMO was repurposing 2G for LTE.

Google hasn't messed with the contact list, have they? I mean that if you don't sync, you don't call. I noticed that contacts appeared in Google on the PC after I installed CM and GAPPS. I didn't have any there.

Thank you.

I had the rooted stock 4.2 on the phone. I never updated it. I used the CM installer from their web page. Thought I was getting 10.2 but found out it was 11. It installed very easily.

I rooted the phone a year ago, and no, I didn't check MD5. Everything else works, so it seems it might be a tossup between radio, Google, and TMObile. Never heard of MD5. I rooted a Nexus S the same way with no problems. That is running CM7.2.

I rooted the phone with the old One Click or the similar one on an XP laptop. Now I have a W7 pro. Some of the stuff from XP just wouldn't transfer. Windows insisted it was a virus.

I also disable most of Google services like maps and location. Most of my apps do just fine with GPS. I prefer printed maps. I can read faster than AI can talk. I don't need backup, drive, I don't want to know where my friends are, nor if there's a restaurant nearby. Gmail is a spam trap now. I use a different service for regular email. They were disabled before with no problem. I read almost everything before updating.

Using the CM file manager, I did manage to TF stuff to desktop via Dropbox. I have TB backup zip, and one app that has an 800M database.

BTW, some of the icons on the caller screen don't work, and the screen shuts off so fast you can't identify them. Pushing speaker doesn't always respond, the microphone seems to be voided out, pause doesn't always work. It isn't the screen, as any other icons in the same position work.
Thank you again.

Upvote 0
If the phone was working before you installed CM11, then the best thing to do would be try a different ROM - as you're rooted, I assume you have a custom recovery, so I'd flash a different ROM (don't use the CM installer, but flash in recovery). If you're still having the same issues, then it could be hardware related.

Upvote 0
There is a backup in CWRom. That would be the original rooted 4.2? I've gotta find a magnifying glass to read the list.

If I start recovery, will it run by itself or do I have to choose any options?

Can you suggest a plain easy to install ROM that would be more like 4.3 than CM11?
I don't need one with a lot of bells and whistles. I'm willing to try one.

What's the best thing to install with? WUG? Something else? The last I used was One Click and things have changed. I never used TWRP, and would have to download a helper app ADB? to the computer.

I remember a lot liked AOSP and Paranoid Android. I'll look for a couple also.

ES File Explorer wouldn't send anything to the computer. I had to move the TB zip file to a folder I could get into via usb and then transfer it. I'd like some program/app that would send to Dropbox or let me TF via USB. The file manager in CM11 did do this, so I'd like something similar.

I really appreciate this.

Upvote 0
Well, surprise, surprise.
Just was starting to go to recovery this AM, when a notice of an update to CM turned up. Let it update to see what would happen, and they must have fixed the phone app.

Tried the Vulcan's phone, could actually hear, and he could hear me.

I still would like to know more about the LTE radio bit. Since TMO is converting towers, I might want to enable.

Also a good manager for flashing a ROM and backups if you can suggest one. I want to get all the backups on the computer to save.

The advice was good since I think my timing of flashing CM was bad. Nice to have a place to start to correct.

Thanks so much. You were really helpful.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Good to hear you're all sorted! :)

Also a good manager for flashing a ROM and backups if you can suggest one.

I've always just flashed ROM's/backups myself through recovery.

I want to get all the backups on the computer to save.

If you want to back stuff up on to your computer, when you connect your phone, copy the contents of the ClockWorkMod folder from your phone to a new folder on your computer (I usually copy stuff to the desktop first and then move it around as I need) :)

Upvote 0
Thanks - Found it. All it had in there was Recovery and the size was 37K. That isn't very big.

Most of the files I'd like to save are databases. I have Sibley Birds and it has an 800m database.
Sky Safari and Mobile observatory are also big. TB doesn't save that part, only the parent. I can find the folders, but can't transfer.

If I did flash through recovery and had to use the command line on a PC, I can just imagine what would happen. I've been using Linux for a while and have forgotten most of the DOS commands. I'd need a step by step, which is why I used CM. Someone over there must have been a technical writer. Wiki was in good English and progressed logically.

Be like when Windows can't find the stupid INI file when the folder is open and you are staring at it.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I realize that, but I'm starting in the middle. Most I've read either start by unlocking or rooting, or they are so techy I don't understand. I simply don't have the knowledge of radio, and how to enable. I'd need step by step in decent English, not texting shortcuts. Same for updating bootloader.

I only root to get the phone the way I like it. I don't care to change ROMs just to experiment or test. Once the phone is set, I usually leave it alone.

I usually change a phone for speed and storage. Right now I'm itching to get rid of this Nexus since I don't like some of LG's policies with their other electronics and appliances. Looking for a company that does only phones - no TV, appliances
and the phone must be easy to root.

I've never totally warmed up to this Nexus, and it isn't because of the brand. I had rooted Samsungs before and run CM, so the phones all looked and worked alike as far as cosmetics go. This Nexus looks almost like the Nexus S on CM7.2 Therefore it wasn't any purely Samsung feature. Maybe the shape of the phone or the way it felt in the hand?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones