Phone charging

Last Updated:

1. ASC

ASC I'm Shy VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Can charging my Droid X off of a charger that isn't designed for my phone damage my battery/phone?

I have 2 Blackberry chargers left over from my old phone and would like to be able to use those to charge my Droid X instead of the one that came with it. I keep one in my bedroom and one in the tv room, and keep the supplied Droid X charger in my backpack so I can charge it at school off my laptop via usb or from a wall outlet. (yeah, I'm lazy like that. Too lazy to take the charger from one room to the next. LoL :D )

Since the v & mA output is different, will it hurt my phone or battery if I use the BB charger to charge it?

It's not much of a difference, but I just want to be sure. I'm sooo happy to be rid of my Storm 1 and want prolong the life of my Droid X as much as possible. Maybe I'm being over protective. :p

Output of the blackberry charger is: 5v - 700mA
    Output of the stock Droid X charger is: 5.1v - 850mA

Advertisement
  2. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

The Blackberry charger will just be slower to charge your X...

Several people are using 1000ma chargers, including myself. Some are using ones that are rated even higher like 2.1A...

You can charge from a USB port which is I believe 500ma max as well.

ASC likes this.
  3. Der Juicen

Der Juicen Well-Known Member

its the voltage that you need to be concerned with, and that difference shouldnt matter.

with the higher amperage chargers the batteries will just charge faster. shouldnt cause any harm

ASC likes this.
  4. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

I use a blackberry charger as well with no issues. I dont even see much difference charging wise. I, like you, like to have chargers in many places.