• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone never sleeps, battery dead by the end of the day

Great thread!!!!

I have a Bell Samsung Vibrant and am having this awful battery drain issue.

Essentially, "Running" is high... like 65% of the time.... it's located under "Other usage"... it's always high, regardless of whether Wifi is on or not.

There is nothing under any of the categories that is that high, including "Android System".

That being said, I don't know if this could be caused by an app???

Upvote 0
Great thread!!!!

I have a Bell Samsung Vibrant and am having this awful battery drain issue.

Essentially, "Running" is high... like 65% of the time.... it's located under "Other usage"... it's always high, regardless of whether Wifi is on or not.

There is nothing under any of the categories that is that high, including "Android System".

That being said, I don't know if this could be caused by an app???
Check "Partial wake usage" and see if anything is high under there. It shouldn't be. It could be that an app is holding a wake lock and preventing the phone from sleeping. Or it could be the wifi related issue mentioned above. Try setting your wifi sleep policy to "Never" and then rebooting the phone. After that, only turn wifi on when you're using it and off when you're not using it.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping that I'm on top something today. I disabled the auto time sync in the date time settings and I'm not having any more wake locks happening when switching on off wifi. Will update again in next few days.

what were your results with this? I have always previously had my wifi sleep policy set to Never and phone would drain down about 7% overnight. Now its draining almost all of the battery overnight!! Also if I turn off the wifi the problem goes away. I have never had this problem until a few days ago. Something is keeping the wifi active all the time. When your have the wifi sleep set to Never the wifi is on all the time but NOT active. This does not cause a big drain on your battery, so its something keeping the wifi active not just on! :thinking:

Upvote 0
Check "Partial wake usage" and see if anything is high under there. It shouldn't be. It could be that an app is holding a wake lock and preventing the phone from sleeping. Or it could be the wifi related issue mentioned above. Try setting your wifi sleep policy to "Never" and then rebooting the phone. After that, only turn wifi on when you're using it and off when you're not using it.

I've done that... and nothing listed under Partial wake usage...

My phone died about two weeks after I posted this due to an internal SD card error, so perhaps the two were related?

Upvote 0
Turns out my battery drain issues when Wifi was set to sleep never, was being caused by my new external microsd card. I unmounted it and the battery brain issues are gone (reformatting it should also fix). Its been sleeping for 4 hours now with wifi sleep on never and has lost 1% just like it has always been in the past.

Upvote 0
Turns out my battery drain issues when Wifi was set to sleep never, was being caused by my new external microsd card. I unmounted it and the battery brain issues are gone (reformatting it should also fix). Its been sleeping for 4 hours now with wifi sleep on never and has lost 1% just like it has always been in the past.

How the heck did you figure that out? I don't think it would ever occur to me to look at my microsd card as a cause for battery drain.

Upvote 0
Those values still sound wrong to me.

8%/hour when idle is 64% battery drain over a nights sleep of 8 hours.

I was reading on XDA that you shouldn't be losing more than 7% over the course of an 8 hour sleep.

Also, I've been having this problem on the stock 2.1 Eclair firmware (Captivate), the 2.2 Froyo update and the Paragon RC6 custom ROM.

If I turn off network time and don't use WiFi, I can last a long time while idle.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I've been following this post since I've been having the same issues. As of about a month ago my phone battery would not last through the course of a day (even on a 100% charge) even if I wasn't hardly using it. I downloaded the Advanced Ap Killer ap and it helped but I was still getting barely a day's worth of charge with minimal usage out of my Captivate. Disgruntled, I decided to call AT&T warranty depo (1-800-801-1101) to see if they could fix it before returning my phone. They ran me through a few diagnostics but decided I should reformat my phone. They had me type in a key sequence (sorry I don't recall what it is) and restored my phone to factory settings. That was two days ago. That night I charged my phone to 100%. I have since used my phone yesterday (a couple phone calls, a few youtube videos etc) and today and did not have to charge my phone since 2 nights ago. I still have 78% battery life (it has been 1 day and 5 hrs since I have charged my phone).

I believe someone in the post above said they'd reformatting their phone and their phone worked fine for a while and then went back to draining battery. I will keep you posted if this happens. Also I haven't downloaded any aps other than google maps yet. I will download them one at a time and keep them for a week before I download something new to verify that any individual ap isn't causing this problem. If I find a problem ap I will update my post as well.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I've been following this post since I've been having the same issues. As of about a month ago my phone battery would not last through the course of a day (even on a 100% charge) even if I wasn't hardly using it. I downloaded the Advanced Ap Killer ap and it helped but I was still getting barely a day's worth of charge with minimal usage out of my Captivate. Disgruntled, I decided to call AT&T warranty depo (1-800-801-1101) to see if they could fix it before returning my phone. They ran me through a few diagnostics but decided I should reformat my phone. They had me type in a key sequence (sorry I don't recall what it is) and restored my phone to factory settings. That was two days ago. That night I charged my phone to 100%. I have since used my phone yesterday (a couple phone calls, a few youtube videos etc) and today and did not have to charge my phone since 2 nights ago. I still have 78% battery life (it has been 1 day and 5 hrs since I have charged my phone).

I believe someone in the post above said they'd reformatting their phone and their phone worked fine for a while and then went back to draining battery. I will keep you posted if this happens. Also I haven't downloaded any aps other than google maps yet. I will download them one at a time and keep them for a week before I download something new to verify that any individual ap isn't causing this problem. If I find a problem ap I will update my post as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, actually my problem turned out to be Skype. If you use Skype, get rid of it, it is a terrible battery drain.

Upvote 0
Thanks, actually my problem turned out to be Skype. If you use Skype, get rid of it, it is a terrible battery drain.

Good to know. I didn't have Skype but I think my battery drain issues were caused by an ap as well. The thing is I deleted all the aps I'd downloaded since my battery drain issue began...maybe at that point it's too late? Did you have to reformat your phone or did getting rid of Skype alone fix your issue?

Upvote 0
Good to know. I didn't have Skype but I think my battery drain issues were caused by an ap as well. The thing is I deleted all the aps I'd downloaded since my battery drain issue began...maybe at that point it's too late? Did you have to reformat your phone or did getting rid of Skype alone fix your issue?

I flashed a different rom on my device and upon installing skype it started. I reflashed again brand new and installed everything except skype and it was fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones