• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone on our plan using

spicerd

Lurker
Apr 15, 2019
My family has a combined 20g plan. Sometimes we get close to the limit at the end of the month and a few times we go over. We are 7 days into our billing month and I got a few text messages from verizon.
5:05 saying we're almost out of data
5:45 saying we were charged for an additional gb
6:03 saying we are about to be charged an additional gb
6:30 saying we are about to be charged, surprise, another gb.

A relative in college usually uses most of the data, in this case once 90% of it. Since these messages were coming in early in the AM while he's probably sleeping and since he didn't answer his phone we locked his phone from using data.

So my question is, what possibly could be going on that is causing this much data. Like I said we're only a week into our cycle and have never had this happen.

We are on verizon. He has a iphone. We dont pay additional for the wifi hotspot feature which I believe is a separate charge. I thought maybe he could be using his phone as a hotspot so his friends can game online but like I said I thought you would have to pay extra for that feature and I know we wouldnt have if give the choice.

Maybe there's a logical reason his phone's going through so much data, but Ive never seen anything like it. Im worried it could either be due to an issue on verizon's end, or some app or apps are doing things they shouldnt, or maybe he's uploading an entier collection of videos and photos the cloud.

I'd keep trying to contact him to ask if he knows how much data is being used.

Check if he is using WiFi and ask him to turn off WiFi Assist, which switches the iPhone to cell data with a weak WiFi signal.

WiFi Assist:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296
Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for WiFi Assist.

Check the cellular data usage on your iPhone, restrict apps from using data:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones