• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phone reboots for no reason

Thats very weird. Mine does a full reboot every single time. Theres an app in the market called reboot logger and it'll keep a record of everytime the phone reboots either randomly or manually.

I was on XDA last night and theres a thread on what apps that can be removed or frozen and that they wont affect phone performance. I personally think its an issue with a lot of the motoblur stuff so im gonna remove a lot of it and post back my results.

were you able to figure out what app was causing the reboots? i'm ready to get rid of the mopho but really dont want to..

Upvote 0
found the issue to my rebooting...its not the batter at all..it was an app i was using..its called SKOUT...i noticed that when i did a factory reset phone and didnt install any apps everything worked perfect, but the moment i installed that app, it kept rebooting like crazy, almost instantly. incase any of you are using this app and having reboot issues, that could be your fix!

Upvote 0
I too have been having random reboots, however, the only difference to my issue over others I have seen is mine is a TOTAL shutdown. I cannot power the phone back on unless I pull the cover and remove the battery. I noticed the potential fix about cushioning the battery to provide a more secure fit. At times, when using my BT Headset (Moto Rokr S9-HD) when I set the phone down on its back, it will drop the call and the phone is off. At this time I notice the battery and cover are warm and that the battery rattled. (Shake your phone holding from the sides and see if there isn't a noise, now pinch the battery cover, thumb on screen, fingers on back and see if rattle goes away) So, I see the potential of TWO problems. My solution, and I will spend the next week checking this and repost my results....

I have used a piece of foil tape used by HVAC guys to seal duct work to wrap my battery ONLY on the sides and back of the battery where it contacts the battery cover. I didn't wrap the front (Phone side of battery) for conductivity and possible short-circuits, that otherwise might damage my phone. I decided on foil tape for TWO reasons, One, and primarily, this will act as a thermal sync to help dissipate heat, just as we do when building High-end PC's to prevent overheating the processors during gaming, and two as a "shim" to provide a tighter fit and prevent battery movement and possible loss of contact with the terminals. If this seems to solve the problem, I may post a YouTube video of the fix. Hoping this works. Mine is so infrequent, that it may be difficult at best to verify until others in the community try it out themselves.

M

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Not sure if this is helpful or not...have had the photon since release and have only had 1 reboot, but I think that was more app related than anything else...sideloaded an app that was for Japan only on NTT-Docomo and was in the middle of using that.

I don't use an SD card, period. Never have put one into the phone and don't see a reason to at this time either. I recall Motorola shipped the Xoom w/ SD card reader disabled so maybe the development team isn't quite adept at implementing SD card support...?

Just some speculation based off circumstantial things...

Upvote 0
I've had the photon since a few days after it launched and I have been getting the reboots now sporatically.

I thought it was related to streaming audio but then I was driving home and noticed my phone rebooting on its own. I have the car dock so it was in eye sight. I wasn't doing anything with it, no Navigation or anything.... just charging it up on the way home....

I don't know what to make of it. It's completely hit or miss. Have only had 1 reboot since then (about a week) but the day before that I had 6 in less than 2 hours. I haven't done anything different and my case / battery are snug.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones