• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone shutting down, Is it my battery, the charger port, or the software?

P_Dub

Dec 20, 2010
I've had the m8 on Sprint for 3 years. Earlier this year my phone shut down out of nowhere at 40-50% once I took it out of power save mode and started to use any app. The first time it happened, android started as if it had downloaded an update or I had did a factory reset as it showed it was optimizing apps on startup. I read later that wiping data, etc, was a symptom others have had when their m8 had shut down while being used.

As time went on, it started happening even at over 70% recently, and also happened with the power saver on, but at a lower percentage. It seemed to be random. So I took steps.

Googled the issue and found others with the same experience. The conclusions seem to vary from a dead battery, to the loose charging port, or even the update to Marshmallow.

I tried the battery re-calibration multiple times. It seemed to work for a couple days, but I think it was a placebo in the long run. The battery percentage that shows up while the calibration is in progress seems to depend on the type of cable and charger used. Using a "slow charging" cable plugged into a USB port on my computer would show a much lower percentage than the percentage that showed up with the phone turned on. Using an AC charger with a "fast charge" cable would result in the reported percentage to be even higher than the percentage when it shut down or I turned it off. I also read that the calibration should be done with the HTC charger and cable. I tried that, and I noticed no difference.

I also cleaned out the usb charger port and the headphone jack. There was a lot of lint and dust. I also did a factory reset as well.

Another odd symptom is battery percentage jumps. When my phone would shut off at around 50%, I would plug it in, and it would show 2% or another really low percentage. I would check 10 minutes later, and it would be anywhere from 5-20 %, 2 hours later, 100%.

To summarize my thoughts, I don't trust the percentage that the phone is giving me, whether it is charging or discharging(10% in 10 minutes with screen on, GSAM estimates 2 hours screen time before battery dies). My charger port is loose, and I have to either put pressure on the cable into the phone or move it left to right to left to find the sweet spot for charging.

On a final note, when the phone notified my that an upgrade to the software was available, I chose the option not to install and don't check again. For whatever reason it downloaded the software and forced the update. I feel my problems started after that. Also, the headphone jack was the first issue I noticed as any headphone I put in was having problems.

So what are your thoughts? I have no problem with getting a new battery or charger port(or both), but I have read there are some issues with the variety of charger ports and the mics not working after installing or the batteries not being as good as the original. I also heard that going back to kitkat or installing a custom rom has improved battery issues. I am rooted on the stock rom, marshmallow 6.20.651.3.

Did you encounter this issue? What improved it for you?

I've had the m8 on Sprint for 3 years. Earlier this year my phone shut down out of nowhere at 40-50% once I took it out of power save mode and started to use any app. The first time it happened, android started as if it had downloaded an update or I had did a factory reset as it showed it was optimizing apps on startup. I read later that wiping data, etc, was a symptom others have had when their m8 had shut down while being used.

As time went on, it started happening even at over 70% recently, and also happened with the power saver on, but at a lower percentage. It seemed to be random. So I took steps.

Googled the issue and found others with the same experience. The conclusions seem to vary from a dead battery, to the loose charging port, or even the update to Marshmallow.

I tried the battery re-calibration multiple times. It seemed to work for a couple days, but I think it was a placebo in the long run. The battery percentage that shows up while the calibration is in progress seems to depend on the type of cable and charger used. Using a "slow charging" cable plugged into a USB port on my computer would show a much lower percentage than the percentage that showed up with the phone turned on. Using an AC charger with a "fast charge" cable would result in the reported percentage to be even higher than the percentage when it shut down or I turned it off. I also read that the calibration should be done with the HTC charger and cable. I tried that, and I noticed no difference.

I also cleaned out the usb charger port and the headphone jack. There was a lot of lint and dust. I also did a factory reset as well.

Another odd symptom is battery percentage jumps. When my phone would shut off at around 50%, I would plug it in, and it would show 2% or another really low percentage. I would check 10 minutes later, and it would be anywhere from 5-20 %, 2 hours later, 100%.

To summarize my thoughts, I don't trust the percentage that the phone is giving me, whether it is charging or discharging(10% in 10 minutes with screen on, GSAM estimates 2 hours screen time before battery dies). My charger port is loose, and I have to either put pressure on the cable into the phone or move it left to right to left to find the sweet spot for charging.

On a final note, when the phone notified my that an upgrade to the software was available, I chose the option not to install and don't check again. For whatever reason it downloaded the software and forced the update. I feel my problems started after that. Also, the headphone jack was the first issue I noticed as any headphone I put in was having problems.

So what are your thoughts? I have no problem with getting a new battery or charger port(or both), but I have read there are some issues with the variety of charger ports and the mics not working after installing or the batteries not being as good as the original. I also heard that going back to kitkat or installing a custom rom has improved battery issues. I am rooted on the stock rom, marshmallow 6.20.651.3.

Did you encounter this issue? What improved it for you?

I know this may be what you want to read, but honestly after 3 years of use it's most definitely time for a new cell phone because most are good up to that point until they start malfunctioning for any given reason but mostly due to age and usage.

Upvote 0
I strongly suspect it is the battery failing. I have had almost identical symptoms with a four year five month old M7 and surprisingly a two year five month old M9. Both devices function perfectly as long as they are charging so they are both kept on permanent charge by using external battery packs. My wife and I both find it a very manageable solution and one that has extended the life of both devices at much less cost than battery replacement.

Both devices are still 100% fit for our purposes so at the moment it is more than satisfactory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It does sound like a battery problem to me too. My own 4.5 year old M7 has held up better than that, but I regard it as "at risk" once the level falls below 30% (it's not consistent, it might work to below 10% or it may shut down suddenly at 28%, but whatever the meter says it shuts down because it is actually flat).

Upvote 0
It does sound like a battery problem to me too. My own 4.5 year old M7 has held up better than that, but I regard it as "at risk" once the level falls below 30% (it's not consistent, it might work to below 10% or it may shut down suddenly at 28%, but whatever the meter says it shuts down because it is actually flat).

Maybe it's my Misfortune that every device I've had longer than 3 to 4 years they start acting up and result me buying another device so that's why I gave that answer because this is from my experience.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies

I know this may be what you want to read, but honestly after 3 years of use it's most definitely time for a new cell phone because most are good up to that point until they start malfunctioning for any given reason but mostly due to age and usage.

I've got the new lg v30+, but I like to keep a spare in case the new device is defective.(I still have an og htc evo 4g that works, hehe.)

I strongly suspect it is the battery failing. I have had almost identical symptoms with a four year five month old M7 and surprisingly a two year five month old M9. Both devices function perfectly as long as they are charging so they are both kept on permanent charge by using external battery packs. My wife and I both find it a very manageable solution and one that has extended the life of both devices at much less cost than battery replacement.

Both devices are still 100% fit for our purposes so at the moment it is more than satisfactory.

I have been using a battery pack, but with the loose port it moves back and forth constantly turning the display on and off as it detects charging. Just recently it showed 100% on the charger and then just vibrated in my pocket. When I plugged it in, it was at 2%.

I'm also buying a replacement for my M7 (arrives tomorrow), but apart from the battery the only real problem is that it's becoming increasingly laggy. I might be able to address that with another clean-out and possibly change of ROM or kernel, but I figure that after 4.5 years it has earned its retirement.

I have been looking into downgrading the rom to kitkat or upgrading to a custom nougat to see if a software change improves it at all. Do custom kernels work on stock roms?

Those symptoms ring over heating to me, my S8+ can get to 41C too easy, I use a temp monitor. Being an older phone hitting 40ish could cause it to shut down. seeing some write that over 45 isn't good for a phone. Bit of a long shot but monitor apps are free

It has gotten really hot sometimes. I recall seeing it at 46 in TWRP when I was doing maintenance.

Upvote 0
I charged it while it was off yesterday and I noticed the percentage go down. I took another look and the backlight of the display was on, which probably caused that. I switched the port and cable, and it immediately jumped from 55 to 83, and took a couple of hours to hit 100. I left it on there for most of yesterday, and today I got through work with only bluetooth on and about 4 hours of music.
Screenshot_20171022-105032.png
Screenshot_20171022-105204.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones