• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PINK SLIME: I May Never Eat Another Burger

It was basically about this one huge multi national corporation (sorry, can't remember the name) that pretty much makes all the flavors that go in processed foods, from the fruity flavors that go into soft drinks, to meat flavors that go in frozen meals, to even oak flavor that goes into whiskey to make it taste like an oak barrel. They have literally hundreds of different flavors of chicken, for example. They showed how they had liquified chicken in a hose, sprayed it into an oven to dry out, then pulverized it into powder to put into boxed dinners or whatever. I'm making you hungry, right? Just another example of how huge corporations control our food supply. To be fair, it wasn't like a super negative hit piece, but just another one of those things we don't really stop to think about. I mean, who really knows there are only like one or two companies who make all the flavorings in most of the food in the supermarket? Nothing about adding extra smell to the produce, though lol.

Upvote 0
It was basically about this one huge multi national corporation (sorry, can't remember the name) that pretty much makes all the flavors that go in processed foods, from the fruity flavors that go into soft drinks, to meat flavors that go in frozen meals, to even oak flavor that goes into whiskey to make it taste like an oak barrel. They have literally hundreds of different flavors of chicken, for example. They showed how they had liquified chicken in a hose, sprayed it into an oven to dry out, then pulverized it into powder to put into boxed dinners or whatever. I'm making you hungry, right? Just another example of how huge corporations control our food supply. To be fair, it wasn't like a super negative hit piece, but just another one of those things we don't really stop to think about. I mean, who really knows there are only like one or two companies who make all the flavorings in most of the food in the supermarket? Nothing about adding extra smell to the produce, though lol.

TALK about living in "The Jetson's Future"! Who wooda thunk when we bite into a tasty leg of KFC "Original" , we are actually saying "Dayam! This is some mighty GOOD tasting liquidfied chickenoid factor xl2-97c" with a dash of GL-5!

Sounds like a very interesting documentary and I am going to see if I can locate the broadcast online! I guess thats where we ge the expression "hmmm! Tastes LIKE chikken!"

We are living the days of Taste-O-Vision! The mind-altering phase that is successor to the 1950's ...
picsay-1346769904.jpg

Upvote 0
I would have liked to see that but didn't know it was on! Spill the "flavored" beens! What were some things fda is approving? What gets me (semi-rant) is how the fda and "regulators" approve, pass with a Grade-A and force consumers to chew and swallow stuff we probably wouldnt feed to a dog....and yet, they go further and restrict kids from bringing home-lunches. But now, Flavorizing a rotten egg to taste like a banana has gone too far! :D

The solution is rather simple: learn to cook real food over a real fire (or stove perhaps); learn to tell the difference between fresh and not so fresh produce. Purchase good fish from a monger and beef from a real butcher. Avail yourself of in-season vegetables and look for road side stands.

What you do not cook, you can dry, can or freeze.

But some cooking tools and learn how to use them. Avoid packaged and overly processed crap and crud. Realize tat some preservitives are required and not as bad as many would have us believe.

Lots of easy things one can do to ween oneself from the stuff we love but is perhaps not good for us. Fast food is ok in moderation.

I might suggest growing a few veggies in the back yard and learn how to use a pressure cooker and learn to can stuff.

Did you know that if properly prepared, french fries absorb very little oil? Did you know "Vine ripened tomatoes" are often not? Did you know raw burger comes from many different animals, so ask your butcher to grind your meat. Then rare (I love Blood Rare) burgers are not a serious issue.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
TALK about living in "The Jetson's Future"! Who wooda thunk when we bite into a tasty leg of KFC "Original" , we are actually saying "Dayam! This is some mighty GOOD tasting liquidfied chickenoid factor xl2-97c" with a dash of GL-5!

I buy my chickens roasted whole from the local grocery store. All that is added is salt and pepper or lemon. You can actually watch the birds being prepared. They prepare them hourly.

KFC is not my favorite because I can get better, cheaper. KFC exists to serve fast birds; no five star KFC joints I suspect.

Learn to cut up a chicken and forget KFC. There are many things one can do with a dead bird. If you fry properly and mind your oil, you can make a truly great chicken for less than KFC.

That said, most chickens in the supermarket are likely given hormones and they were raised on antibiotics. Did you know producers have used ABs for decades and it is the big reason so many bad bugs cannot be killed with medicines?

Upvote 0

Sounds like a very interesting documentary and I am going to see if I can locate the broadcast online! I guess thats where we ge the expression "hmmm! Tastes LIKE chikken!"

We are living the days of Taste-O-Vision! The mind-altering phase that is successor to the 1950's ...
picsay-1346769904.jpg
Here ya go:

The Flavorists: Tweaking tastes and creating cravings - YouTube

Imagine how concentrated that little packet is that comes with ramen noodles, and they can make that stuff taste like anything!

Upvote 0

Part of the problem is we tolerate this kind of thing and have tolerated it for many decades. Most flavorings I use are natural and the cost is far greater than the cost of the fake crap.

Just take a look at orange flavored oil and actual orange oil or pure vanilla compared to the cost of the fake stuff.

I see nothing wrong with your description of powered chicken. I cannot see the problem unless many other things are added to the powered poultry.

As for scotch, not all scotch is flavored, I suspect. But a nice 25-30 YO single malt is rather costly. Not so sure there is much data on spending decades aged in oak vs. adding fake wood flavors.

We should live by the food labels and reject the overly processed stuff.

did you know that natural chocolate contains many poisons? Like ethylene glycol and cyanide? They occur naturally but mother nature knows how to prepare food properly.

Upvote 0
Part of the problem is we tolerate this kind of thing and have tolerated it for many decades. Most flavorings I use are natural and the cost is far greater than the cost of the fake crap.

Just take a look at orange flavored oil and actual orange oil or pure vanilla compared to the cost of the fake stuff.

I see nothing wrong with your description of powered chicken. I cannot see the problem unless many other things are added to the powered poultry.

As for scotch, not all scotch is flavored, I suspect. But a nice 25-30 YO single malt is rather costly. Not so sure there is much data on spending decades aged in oak vs. adding fake wood flavors.

We should live by the food labels and reject the overly processed stuff.

did you know that natural chocolate contains many poisons? Like ethylene glycol and cyanide? They occur naturally but mother nature knows how to prepare food properly.
Yeah, they do say the oak flavoring is for newer whiskey to make it taste like it has been aged. I posted the link to the story above.

Upvote 0
Here ya go:

The Flavorists: Tweaking tastes and creating cravings - YouTube

Imagine how concentrated that little packet is that comes with ramen noodles, and they can make that stuff taste like anything!

COOL! Thanks for the link! Ive placed it in a calendar event for today at 11a.m. Thats when I have some down-time to myself and my trusty-ole Streak. He will pop up the link and I cant wait.

Imagine how many "chikkens" are squeezed into one "Bullion Cube"! Speaking of KFC (Maxey): Yup, Ive watched a documentary report on restaurant foods when they got to KFC and discussed how "plump" the pieces were!....them birds were so joosed up on "stuffs" out at the "Pookie's Chikken Ranch Lounge", you would think they could jump off the factory conveyer belt , mad as hayale for choppn the head off , and tell you a thing or two before STRUTTING offf!

picsay-1346839440.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones