playing video screen timesout?

Last Updated:

1. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

when playing a video shouldnt the screen not time out?..if your watching something ur not always going to be touching it to keep the screen awake even if u set it to time out in 30 min thats still an issue or am i missing something?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I don't know that I've experienced this ... but there are several apps that keep your screen awake. Screen Mode Widget might work well for you. But also, take a look at Screebl Lite. That app kinda approaches this issue from a different angle. I have/use both.

3. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

There's an app called KeepScreen that allows you to define apps that are exempt from screen timeout so that there's no timeout during, say, web browsing. It's free so worth a try.

4. bhm229

bhm229 Member

I like Screebl the most. Amazing little app, saves a bunch of battery and doesn't rely on the app being used, but the position of the phone. you can put down the phone while using the Droid and not worry about the screen staying on unlike the others

5. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

Quick question: how well does screebl work during day to day use? I tend to have the phone clipped to my jeans, slid in a pocket, lying on a desk, held perfectly vertically, or propped at an angle either horizontally and vertically. Plus I switch between sitting and standing all day. I worry that an orientation-based manager might have an unforeseen problem given the constantly changing 3D reality...

I should really just try it, shouldn't I? ;) I've heard good things.

I'm liking keepscreen because there's only a few apps I care about timing out (browser, youtube, some games) and many others I want to dim out as quickly as possible (pandora, slacker, really music players of any sort.)

6. bhm229

bhm229 Member

Whenever I put my Droid in my pocket I always lock the screen anyway, out of habit (I had a Dare which would trouser dial like crazy with the slightest movement). I've never pulled out my phone to a glowing/on screen. Screebl doesn't wake up when the phone isn't exactly 90 or 180 degrees (which is almost never in normal use, unless you're laying it down or measuring it with a ruler). You can also adjust the exact sweet-spot using the accelerometer, so it knows just how you like to hold your phone. Screebl only keeps the display on, it never awakens it. It's nice because I often put my phone down on a table (180 degrees) while using the browser or Gameboid and it won't keep the display on unlike keepscreen.