Playing with the Note 2 today and was ready to forgot about the S4General

1. ThirstyDog

ThirstyDog Well-Known Member

In a Verizon store today playing with the Note 2 and was ready to purchase one until I found out they only sell the 16GB model. Why would they not sell at least the 32GB of a sweet premium phone like this?

Lovin that 5.5 inch screen. What will the S4 have that the Note 2 does not?:smokingsomb:

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Simple answer: a lot
  3. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member

But IIRC Samsung have said that the new features will be coming to other high-end Galaxies as long as the hardware allows.

Ask what's important to you, and see which fits your requirements better. For me the sizes are different enough that one way or another that would settle it, but that's me, not you.
  4. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda Well-Known Member

Here's what the GS4 has that the GN2 does not:

1080p, a home button without a VZW logo, faster processor, and, most importantly of all, AWS compatibility. VZW's network is overloaded right now and those terrible speeds in high capacity areas will be resolved with AWS later this year.
  5. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Well-Known Member

What is AWS out of curiousity?
  6. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

AWS = Advanced Wireless Services

AWS-1 or UMTS band IV, is a wireless telecommunications spectrum band used for mobile voice and data services, video, and messaging. AWS-1 is used in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Chile. It replaces some of the spectrum formerly allocated to Multipoint Multichannel Distribution Service (MMDS), sometimes referred to as Wireless Cable, that existed from 2150 to 2162 MHz.

The AWS band uses microwave frequencies in two segments: from 1710 to 1755 MHz for uplink, and from 2110 to 2155 MHz for downlink. The service is intended to be used by mobile devices such as wireless phones for mobile data, video, and messaging services. Most manufacturers of smartphone mobile handsets provide versions of their phones that include radios that can communicate using the AWS spectrum. Since for downlink AWS uses a subset of UMTS frequency band I (2100 MHz) some UMTS2100 capable handsets do detect AWS networks but cannot register on them due to the difference in uplink frequencies (1710–1755 MHz for AWS vs. 1920–1980 MHz for UMTS2100).

Device support for AWS is limited, with many high-demand smartphones not supporting the service. This has limited the development of all-AWS carriers due to a limited selection of handsets.

Advanced Wireless Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    iToddh, Magnus Ochncap and Hadron like this.
  7. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda Well-Known Member

AWS is a large block of spectrum that was auctioned off 5-10 years ago. Each of the larger carriers was able to obtain some, though T-Mobile probably has more than most. The AWS spectrum is less efficient with respect to penetrating buildings than the 700/800 mhz bands that VZW/AT&T currently use.

VZW owns a large block of AWS, which is sitting dormant right now. However, about a month ago, they promised to turn LTE using AWS on for major markets. What this means is an immediate increase in speed for everyone who has a phone with AWS compatibility because those devices can then use the AWS bands to communicate as opposed to the crowded 700 mhz band that all VZW phones currently use for LTE. The current 700 mhz band is so crowded in larger cities that speeds are a fraction of what they were just a year ago (thanks iPhone 5).

Anyway, the point is that you shouldn't buy a new VZW phone without AWS compatibility if you can help it.
  8. ThirstyDog

ThirstyDog Well-Known Member

And if I'm lucky maybe I can get at least a 32GB version.
  9. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

My only problem with the Note's are they are too big for "my" needs.. I need to carry mine in a dress shirt pocket and even the S3 and S4 are now pushing the size limit it for me.