• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play's device app storage only 400mb?! Even worse- 380mb

I find it amusing too, since some folks here think they know better and reference me as being wrong while assuming the high ground. Stop posting semi-misguided retorts and I go away. Look forward to buying one of these for about $200 and using it as a game only device. Will replace my Dingoo- big time.

Added

Not rained on the Acer Iconia`s parade. Sweet device, but I called out the bad too (mainly Honeycomb related).

Upvote 0
I find it amusing too, since some folks here think they know better and reference me as being wrong while assuming the high ground. Stop posting semi-misguided retorts and I go away. Look forward to buying one of these for about $200 and using it as a game only device. Will replace my Dingoo- big time.

Added

Not rained on the Acer Iconia`s parade. Sweet device, but I called out the bad too (mainly Honeycomb related).

You are 110% wrong on this (and the Inc 2), I don't even need to own the device to know this. Once again, Android and its app infrastructure lean HEAVILY on the SD card and only slightly on the internal storage. This isn't iOS.

Reactions: NeoTechni
Upvote 0
You folks are speaking in absolutes when the issues here are subjective:

1. Inc 2? What was I wrong about?

2. Most consumers that buy devices from carriers have no clue about ADB or any other method to get around storage constraints (I do not like moving apps, since I swap cards and this is a problem if you do). 380mb is the lowest of any newer device, so not sure how that is a point for debate. Android framework is NOT sd heavy. In fact, Android team wanted nothing to do with apps2sd and have zapped it in Honeycomb (for dynamic internal storage). Android hated micro sd for security and stability reasons, but relented, since most devices had low internal storage space (Apple bought up most flash capacity for the iPhone at the time).

3. I doubt the NGP will be easy to root, so all of the great emulators and the VERY great TigerArcade (best arcade app for portable devices- ever) will not be options on the NGP... I will still buy one if they bring out a new Dead or Alive for it :)

For gamers that are not app ores' like me, the Xperia Play will ROCK real hard. I would gladly pay $200 for one- just for the gaming aspect. Besides the memory issue, another point is that I want the Netflix app on my next device. Until recently, I assumed that any Android device with the needed DRM keys and hardware (8655 does) would work with the Netflix app. Turns out the process is device specific and must be negotiated and paid for by the OEM of the device to use Netflix servers. The LG revolution is the only device so far to get approval (LG paid Netflix).

Heck, who knows. If the Play were to somehow get Netflix, I might STILL buy one as a phone, due to the sweet gamepad and my irrational love for TigerArcade, which does NOT scale correctly on Honeycomb and my Iconia :(

Added: I tether my iPod 4 with my Incredible using 3G and the Netflix app works well, so no 4G should not be an issue on the Play, for Netflix.

Upvote 0
You folks are speaking in absolutes when the issues here are subjective:

1. Inc 2? What was I wrong about?

2. Most consumers that buy devices from carriers have no clue about ADB or any other method to get around storage constraints (I do not like moving apps, since I swap cards and this is a problem if you do). 380mb is the lowest of any newer device, so not sure how that is a point for debate. Android framework is NOT sd heavy. In fact, Android team wanted nothing to do with apps2sd and have zapped it in Honeycomb (for dynamic internal storage). Android hated micro sd for security and stability reasons, but relented, since most devices had low internal storage space (Apple bought up most flash capacity for the iPhone at the time).

3. I doubt the NGP will be easy to root, so all of the great emulators and the VERY great TigerArcade (best arcade app for portable devices- ever) will not be options on the NGP... I will still buy one if they bring out a new Dead or Alive for it :)

For gamers that are not app ores' like me, the Xperia Play will ROCK real hard. I would gladly pay $200 for one- just for the gaming aspect. Besides the memory issue, another point is that I want the Netflix app on my next device. Until recently, I assumed that any Android device with the needed DRM keys and hardware (8655 does) would work with the Netflix app. Turns out the process is device specific and must be negotiated and paid for by the OEM of the device to use Netflix servers. The LG revolution is the only device so far to get approval (LG paid Netflix).

Heck, who knows. If the Play were to somehow get Netflix, I might STILL buy one as a phone, due to the sweet gamepad and my irrational love for TigerArcade, which does NOT scale correctly on Honeycomb and my Iconia :(

Added: I tether my iPod 4 with my Incredible using 3G and the Netflix app works well, so no 4G should not be an issue on the Play, for Netflix.

I'm not playing this game with you. Its getting ridiculous. The ONLY newer Android phone (and this goes for all variants of it ie. Inc and Evo) ever known to have a legitimate problem with memory is the original Desire which had a severly limited datadata folder. I had 150 mb of app storage on my Eris and had well over 100 apps downloaded with no memory issues. I will guarantee that the VAST majority of those buying Incredible 2s and SXPs will never run into any kind of memory constraint due to their app storages. The largest game apps in the market (Angry Birds, Air Combat HD...etc.) all move the large majority of their files to the SD card with no problems. For instances, Angry Birds Rio is a 16mb file, of which, only ~2mb are stored on the internal storage. Many, many, many others are the same way.

Yes, Android is SD heavy, or at least 3rd party developers are. You cannot argue this point considering (outside of file explorers) NO 3rd party apps can even access media stored on a phones internal storage, none, zilch, nada.

Reactions: NeoTechni
Upvote 0
Android framework is NOT sd heavy. In fact, Android team wanted nothing to do with apps2sd and have zapped it in Honeycomb
The Play doesnt run honeycomb. It runs 2.3, and 2.3 DOES let you install apps to the SD card. So yes, you are 110% wrong as someone said earlier

The Play-optimized games specifically install to SD.
For example, Asphalt HD installs 8 MB to flash, and 400 MB to SD

There is no memory issue.

Upvote 0
Real simple perspective. For the Play not to have a storage issue, that would imply that having more storage is overkill, which is not the case (please tell all the OEMs, since they are all together wasting billions of dollars with more device flash storage).

I was subjective in my view, stating that most people would not have an issue, but heavy apps users would. Some folks here are saying there is no storage issue (pretty absolute).

Upvote 0
No

There is no issue cause even heavy users will have no problem because they can use the SD card

No, I already stated I have 400mb on my Incredible and use apps2sd. Over 200 apps installed. You're being absolute with something that can not be, but all is good. You like the device and most folks will not have a space issues.

Upvote 0
Prior to 2.2, you would have needed the third-party apps2sd app to push apps to external storage. However, since Google built that feature into 2.2, that app is now obsolete.

Here are some reasons why 380mb should not be an issue:
1. Rushmore mentions that people are going to store media and MP3's on their internal storage. Why?? All of my photos/videos/music are stored on my 16gb SD card, since I have no reason to keep them in my valuable internal storage area.
2. Hot swapping SD cards is not a typical user practice, otherwise they would still design SD cards that are accessible from outside of the case. In fact, I can think of a few phones which require taking out the battery to get to the SD! Even if it doesn't, I would MUCH rather buy a bigger SD card than go through the hassle of taking off my case and then taking off the back panel every time I wanted to access files on a different SD.
3. My own current phone, for example. I have a Samsung Fascinate which has ~2gb internal storage. After 6 months and many dozens of games and apps, I'm using a grand total of 533mb. I haven't bothered moving apps to my SD since I have plenty of space, but I could easily move enough things off to put me well below that 380mb threshold - moving Need For Speed: Shift would save me 100mb by itself.
4. I don't know where that "30% stays on the internal storage" figure comes from, Rushmore, so let me provide a real-world example. Lets Golf from Gameloft - it takes up less than 5mb on internal storage, but 161mb on my SD card! I'm sure there are bad developers out there who might not be so thrifty with their internal-vs-SD data ratio, but I'm also sure the market would force them to correct that before long...

That being said, would I want a bigger internal storage area? Of course - I would enjoy having 32gb main storage like the iPhone has - but I doubt I would enjoy the higher price tag that would come along with it. Apple can get away with it because they know they will sell millions - no questions asked - so they can get a better price for components. Sony's target market is significantly smaller, so they can't get away with that.

In the end, Rushmore, I understand that because of how you might choose to utilize your phone, 380mb is not enough - and that's fine, but I don't think it is the death knell of this product. I don't see this as being an issue at all for me or - in my opinion - most users, so I'm still eagerly awaiting its arrival (hopefully on the 14th in the US?)...

I have huge issue with the lack of internal storage, my favorite Asphalt 6 consume 30MB internal memory, some other default apps are quite big: Flash, Map, Gmail, etc only installed in internal storage. Once the internal storage less than 10% free, the auto sync for Gmail will disable.

Eventually I delete Asphalt 6 to claim back some internal storage. Sony release another stupid piece of shit after PS3.

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm forever getting low memory warnings, and that's with all the apps moved to the SD card (at least, those that will allow me to do so). Driving me crazy, as otherwise it's a great bit of kit.

It'd be good to be able to remove all that bloatware Sony has spatter gunned all over it, but I presume this wouldn't actually increase the usable space as they are located in the ROM?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones