• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help phone won't turn on

smokingunn

Lurker
Nov 20, 2009
Hi I've had my Epic since it first came out and it's been nearly flawless but tonight it froze-up on me so I removed the battery to restart. Now when I turn it on it gets to the Samsung screen and stops there. If anybody has some suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Ethan

Hi I've had my Epic since it first came out and it's been nearly flawless but tonight it froze-up on me so I removed the battery to restart. Now when I turn it on it gets to the Samsung screen and stops there. If anybody has some suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Ethan

Pull the battery, then hold the power switch down for about 20 seconds. then re install the battery and plug the phone to the charger let it charge for one hour then try powering the handset up.

Upvote 0
you may have to do a hard reset with the device keys.

>>Vol Dwn, Camera, Pwr (in that order)... release when the samsung mobile screen comes up... use the volume down button to scroll down to 'wipe data/factory reset' and press the home button... you'll get a warning... press volume up to continue... this will reset all information in the phone but it should revert it back to factory defaults. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Android XTC I tried your suggestion with no luck, I really don't want to do the full reset but it's looking like that is my only option. I can get over losing my settings but what is really bothering me is the fact that I was about to beat Angry Birds which I have been playing for the last few days. I think I'm going to let it sit batteryless for a while longer then give it one last try before the full reset.

Thanks for the help
Ethan

Upvote 0
Android XTC I tried your suggestion with no luck, I really don't want to do the full reset but it's looking like that is my only option. I can get over losing my settings but what is really bothering me is the fact that I was about to beat Angry Birds which I have been playing for the last few days. I think I'm going to let it sit batteryless for a while longer then give it one last try before the full reset.

Thanks for the help
Ethan

Angry Birds is driving me nuts too! Well it seems you just might have to do that reset now. You could take it to Sprint service and see if they can back it up for you but thats iffy at best since it wont fully boot. :mad:

Upvote 0
Well I tried to do the reset and nothing happened, it let me select it in the menu and it said it was completed but when I rebooted the phone it still hung-up on the Samsung screen. Off to the Sprint Store I guess

Yea thats your only choice at this point. It sounds like your master software is corrupted. I'm guessing they are going to just replace the handset.

Upvote 0
I took the phone in this morning and they did end-up replacing it...after 3 hours of waiting. The guy working on it said, "there is no software on it and it won't allow me to install any." So I got a new phone and convinced the tech to let me keep both batteries, hooray for a free spare! Somehow my phone went from working fine to erasing all of its software when I removed the battery? My experience with the phone had been great, it may have locked-up on me two or three times in the last two months, which coming from the moment was as good as never, but I haven't had any other troubles with it. Oh well I guess it's true what they say, "only the good die young."

Upvote 0
Yea thats your only choice at this point. It sounds like your master software is corrupted. I'm guessing they are going to just replace the handset.

The phone I had before this one had an issue with not wanting to update its software. Sprint service had the same issue with my phone just not taking the updates OTA or hard wire from a desk top. It was then deemed that Samsung had made a batch of phones that had defective operating system software installed at the factory that would cause these issues. Service also tried re loading the operating system on my phone with no luck doing so, the phone just refused to take the software re load. Was your old phone updating properly? Did it install DI18 properly? Im wondering now if it really is a software issue or maybe just some of the handsets have bad internal storage devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones