• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
so I am no pro by any means but know enough to have successfully gaIned root access on my phone, Installed open garden and cannot for the lIfe of me get a wIfI sIgnal from my phone to my tablet, my main objectIve Is sImply to gaIn access to the wIfI tetherIng wIthout havIng to pay for It monthly.
phone:nexus s 4g 2.3.7
tablet: galaxy 10.1
sprInt

also, can my phone run ICS?

so I am no pro by any means but know enough to have successfully gaIned root access on my phone, Installed open garden and cannot for the lIfe of me get a wIfI sIgnal from my phone to my tablet, my main objectIve Is sImply to gaIn access to the wIfI tetherIng wIthout havIng to pay for It monthly.
sprInt

Well, I don't know what open garden is...however, if you are rooted, manually download barnacle wifi or the other free wifi tether app out there, but muller, lemons and buxton. I have tried both of those as a rooted user and they worked fine.

You can't download them through the market directly because it is carrier blocked by Sprint, but I seem to think there were market apps to let you jump carrier markets so that might be one way to do it too, but manually downloading them will get you the same result in the end.

As far as the ICS, I ran both the IMM26 and now the latest IMM76D, version 4.0.4 for my phone without the rom modifications, the stock roms. Yes it is capable, people probably see different results. When I started adding all of the apps I use on a normal basis, my battery use seems to be about the same, but maybe it is a slight improvement. I can have better results yesterday, I was doing really well with the WiFi here and then got on some family skype calls and my battery dropped as you could imagine. So will find out a real world test tomorrow at work since I haven't been there yet and I use that as my rule and guide to compare. But either way, I like it a lot better, I feel a bit lost now trying the other phones here that don't have ICS on it now.

Upvote 0
sprInt

We need to know the length to which you have "root" access. Just because you unlocked the bootloader, does not mean you have full root. You need to install a custom recovery (like clockworkmod) and Super User (or SU) via that recovery, in order to have "full root" access.

Here is a link to the "Wireless Tether For Root Users" app that was mentioned above. Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

If you do not have full root access, then this app will not work.

Yes, your phone can run Ice Cream Sandwich. In fact, Sprint just announced last Thursday, that the update will be pushed out over the next 2 weeks.

Upvote 0
Ok, clockworkmod sounds flreally familiar I know I did something with it during the root process, I installed root checker and it says I have room access, and aggressive says 'security threat, running high priority root access' or something to that affect... as for ice, you think it would be better to just wait or to install on my own since I'm rooted? Thanks so much guys! I was worried no one would respond as I'm sure this is newborn stuff, thanks!

Upvote 0
version 2.0.7 of the wireless tether app will work with Gingerbread.

Now, as for Ice Cream Sandwich, just download ROM Manager from the Marketplace, and have a go at the "Bugless Beast" ROM by Peter Alfonso. It is a really well done and bug-free ROM.

Since you are rooted and have installed Clockword Mod recovery, you will not be able to install the official Sprint OTA for Gingerbread. You will need to go back to complete stock, recovery and all, in order to get the Sprint OTA.

Upvote 0
Can you clarify what exactly rom is and what ota stands for?

ROM is the tweaked version of the Android OS. There are several developers who customize the OS to their liking and release it for the rest of us to run. These are ROMs.

OTA stands for Over The Air. It usually refers to the method that an update is pushed from the carrier... over the air. Get it?

Upvote 0
Ok awesome! Makes perfect sense! Thanks for your patience with this newborn :) so if I'm rooted and I accept the ota ics update is it gonna A. Unroot me or B. Let sprint know that I am rooted? Also... how do I know if I have full root access? I have super user installed and when I activate wifi tether it grants permission and I am no seeing the hotspots on my tablet but it gets stuck on "acquiring IP address"

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oh and what about if I accept that ota update (still running gingerbread) ?

I'm not sure if you'll lose root as a result of the update, but it's easy enough to get it back, since the bootloader isn't locked... If it were me, I'd pass on the "official update" and just find an ICS rom I liked (there are many to choose from). There's also a chance you might like the sprint rom... and as long as you're rooted, you can tweak it to your liking.

so any idea why it won't send out an IP address?

Not sure on that, either... Sorry. Reboot the phone and try again. If that doesn't work, try a different application. When I tethered, I liked "Wireless Tether for Root Users".

Upvote 0
Yeah, it wouldn't tether in the stock, non-rooted Gingerbread OS. The version you cited, it was one of the original selling points of it until Sprint got their dirty hands in it deeper than the initial release. But being rooted, you can tether.

I can tether as well. If it doesn't work with the apps above, you are most likely doing something wrong, or the device you are trying to tether doesn't like the ad-hoc network it is trying to connect to on your phone. Some tips were provided at the developer's websites to connect more easily. When I went through those steps several times, I realized I had to hit refresh a few times on my laptop while broadcasting the tether hot spot, and it connected thereafter. I successfully tethered and all was well after that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones