Please help!!!General

Last Updated:

1. xtiffanytwisted

xtiffanytwisted Member This Topic's Starter

i dropped my eris while i was outside earlier today and the screen CRACKED (even though i have a case on it). it's barely out of warranty, i think i got it a month and a half ago, and i didn't purchase insurance on it. i rushed to the verizon store and was told i had two options:

(1) get a pre-owned phone for $169.99
    (2) add another line to my account (family plan, so $9.99/month) and then buy a new eris for $79.99

is there ANYTHING else i can do that's not so pricey?? are there places to get eris screens fixed outside of verizon?

thanks so much!!!

Advertisement
  2. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

The warranty is 1 year, but wouldn't cover a drop. You're past the 30 day Verizon return policy.

Adding a line would seem pricey in the longterm (nearly 2 years).

There's a few threads about parts and screens somewhere on here.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

4. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Verizon will lose $30/month if you ditch the broken phone and go back to an old phone, so I'm surprised they didn't offer a better price for a replacement.

5. smacky

smacky Banned

A lack of insurance will hurt you here. Still, I don't have one.

Jump on eBay or craigslist. Get a brand new one so you still have a warranty from the day you purchase it. They run about $250 on eBay, as of two days ago.

Do you still have your old phone? If you renewed your contract with VZW, meaning you were with them before with a phone from the previous contract, get that activated with VZW and made necessary amendments like that data plan.

Option two is to buy the new phone. It's the next cheapest alternative, as after nine months with a new line and a cheaper phone, the benefits cancel out. Surely you plan on keeping the phone more than nine months.

6. polizi212

polizi212 Well-Known Member

As far as the OP is concerned try to sweet talk your verizon rep for a better deal!

7. smacky

smacky Banned

This is what I think you look like.

[​IMG]

8. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

Personally for issues like this I have far more success if I call Customer Service and talk to a supervisor about a lower price. They may end up asking you to pay full price at the store and then crediting your account some amount. I had an issue awhile ago where the store was no help at all (what a surprise). Talked to a customer service supervisor and told them I was in the parking lot of the AT&T store --- problem immediately solved.

9. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I had a pressure crack on my Voyager and the store offered me a $50 replacement phone. They knew that I didn't have insurance and offered this instead. You may have to beg and plead for it and/or go to another store and try to sweet talk it. Can you pretty up and find a male tech to try this on? Hey...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

10. xtiffanytwisted

i had read about the $50 deal that you got in another thread yesterday, so this morning i asked them about it and was that they stopped that deal at the end of march and started the refurb program instead. i did get a very sympathetic tech though who had an eris himself. he directed me to a 3rd party cell phone repair shop in the area so i may try that or try and find the part and replace it myself :/

11. xtiffanytwisted

i thought threatening to leave verizon, but i'm not the account holder, and there are 4 people on our account, so they probably wouldn't take me very seriously.

12. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

That may be something to try. $170 is a lot for another Eris. The pre-owned designation just kills me! They just changed the name and jacked up the price.

Everybody who calls says that they are leaving. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Persistence without losing it works well many times.