• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
i dropped my eris while i was outside earlier today and the screen CRACKED (even though i have a case on it). it's barely out of warranty, i think i got it a month and a half ago, and i didn't purchase insurance on it. i rushed to the verizon store and was told i had two options:

(1) get a pre-owned phone for $169.99
(2) add another line to my account (family plan, so $9.99/month) and then buy a new eris for $79.99

is there ANYTHING else i can do that's not so pricey?? are there places to get eris screens fixed outside of verizon?

thanks so much!!!

i dropped my eris while i was outside earlier today and the screen CRACKED (even though i have a case on it). it's barely out of warranty, i think i got it a month and a half ago, and i didn't purchase insurance on it. i rushed to the verizon store and was told i had two options:

(1) get a pre-owned phone for $169.99
(2) add another line to my account (family plan, so $9.99/month) and then buy a new eris for $79.99

is there ANYTHING else i can do that's not so pricey?? are there places to get eris screens fixed outside of verizon?

thanks so much!!!

A lack of insurance will hurt you here. Still, I don't have one.

Jump on eBay or craigslist. Get a brand new one so you still have a warranty from the day you purchase it. They run about $250 on eBay, as of two days ago.

Do you still have your old phone? If you renewed your contract with VZW, meaning you were with them before with a phone from the previous contract, get that activated with VZW and made necessary amendments like that data plan.

Option two is to buy the new phone. It's the next cheapest alternative, as after nine months with a new line and a cheaper phone, the benefits cancel out. Surely you plan on keeping the phone more than nine months.

Upvote 0
Tell me this, are you still mad I as right about the OTA? It appears you don't know jack and I do. What does that say about having that premium service next to your name? It tells me you don't know jack.

This is what I think you look like.

count_von_count.jpg

Upvote 0
Personally for issues like this I have far more success if I call Customer Service and talk to a supervisor about a lower price. They may end up asking you to pay full price at the store and then crediting your account some amount. I had an issue awhile ago where the store was no help at all (what a surprise). Talked to a customer service supervisor and told them I was in the parking lot of the AT&T store --- problem immediately solved.

Upvote 0
I had a pressure crack on my Voyager and the store offered me a $50 replacement phone. They knew that I didn't have insurance and offered this instead. You may have to beg and plead for it and/or go to another store and try to sweet talk it. Can you pretty up and find a male tech to try this on? Hey...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Upvote 0
I had a pressure crack on my Voyager and the store offered me a $50 replacement phone. They knew that I didn't have insurance and offered this instead. You may have to beg and plead for it and/or go to another store and try to sweet talk it. Can you pretty up and find a male tech to try this on? Hey...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

i had read about the $50 deal that you got in another thread yesterday, so this morning i asked them about it and was that they stopped that deal at the end of march and started the refurb program instead. i did get a very sympathetic tech though who had an eris himself. he directed me to a 3rd party cell phone repair shop in the area so i may try that or try and find the part and replace it myself :/

Upvote 0
Personally for issues like this I have far more success if I call Customer Service and talk to a supervisor about a lower price. They may end up asking you to pay full price at the store and then crediting your account some amount. I had an issue awhile ago where the store was no help at all (what a surprise). Talked to a customer service supervisor and told them I was in the parking lot of the AT&T store --- problem immediately solved.

i thought threatening to leave verizon, but i'm not the account holder, and there are 4 people on our account, so they probably wouldn't take me very seriously.

Upvote 0
i had read about the $50 deal that you got in another thread yesterday, so this morning i asked them about it and was that they stopped that deal at the end of march and started the refurb program instead. i did get a very sympathetic tech though who had an eris himself. he directed me to a 3rd party cell phone repair shop in the area so i may try that or try and find the part and replace it myself :/

That may be something to try. $170 is a lot for another Eris. The pre-owned designation just kills me! They just changed the name and jacked up the price.

i thought threatening to leave verizon, but i'm not the account holder, and there are 4 people on our account, so they probably wouldn't take me very seriously.

Everybody who calls says that they are leaving. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Persistence without losing it works well many times.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones