• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please recommend a launcher

The old wisdom was to remove all widgets and icons from stock launcher before installing custom launcher, because the old stuff would still be running in the background. Is that still true?

Not sure about that, perhaps someone else can help.

But I would say don't do this initially as Nova Launcher allows you to import from another launcher, so that will make the initial setup much easier. After that by all means switch back to the stock launcher temporarily to delete everything if someone says it makes a difference.

Upvote 0
I have Go Launcher & Love it.
It's free updates continually has lots of free themes they along have free keyboards, SMS lockers.

I will +1 Go Launcher. I have been using this for quite a while and I really like how deep you can go with the customization. It also allows the unread count(install notification add-on). All for free!

When you get bored just download a new theme. It really is great. If you liked Launcher Pro, you will downright be tickled by Go Launcher.

Upvote 0
Anyone ever had any issues after installing Nova?
It might just be coincidence but I might have - for instance today my phone wouldn't come out of sleep mode until I did a long press to restart it I've also seen some lag in my browser after coming out of sleep mode like normal.

This has happened to me 2 or 3 times, but I can't pin it down on Nova because that's been installed for awhile

Upvote 0
Add another vote for Nova Prime. It is an awesome launcher with tons of customization options. You can really make the launcher experience what you want it to be.

I don't understand why manufacturers can't just do something like this with their "skinned" phones. They could even add their own icon set if they wanted and leave the Android code alone. It would make their lives much easier and would allow for much faster updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones