• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
That is troubling news, the things that I would like to point out are; that while the reviewers says that both phones use the same PMU, it would appear that he has had no direct hands on experience with the Atrix, as he is using the BIONIC. Also since this is pre-release hardware and software one can hope that this issue may be able to be resolved with a firmware fix (not that this is the optimal outcome).
Still makes me a little less enthusiastic to get this phone.

Upvote 0
That is troubling news, the things that I would like to point out are; that while the reviewers says that both phones use the same PMU, it would appear that he has had no direct hands on experience with the Atrix, as he is using the BIONIC. Also since this is pre-release hardware and software one can hope that this issue may be able to be resolved with a firmware fix (not that this is the optimal outcome).
Still makes me a little less enthusiastic to get this phone.

xbernaut:

"If your really posting from a bionic I feel so sorry for you.that POS is so far from usable in any way shape or form.I bet that if it even makes it to shelves it will be through a bribe.the Etna and its twin for att both have a major unfixable flaw that will plaque it forever."

He is the one to listen to. He never stated having no hands-on with the Atrix; in fact, he clearly states that the Atrix has the same issues.

Reactions: binaryhellstorm
Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't frequent that forum, but the source seems to be on the level. I really hope that the issue doesn't crop up in the Atrix, it seemed to the the first worthwhile replacement to my Milestone.

well if it does I will wait for the inspire all in all I might pick it up for you guys review it and return it within my 30 days for the Inspire

Upvote 0
xbernaut:

"If your really posting from a bionic I feel so sorry for you.that POS is so far from usable in any way shape or form.I bet that if it even makes it to shelves it will be through a bribe.the Etna and its twin for att both have a major unfixable flaw that will plaque it forever."

He is the one to listen to. He never stated having no hands-on with the Atrix; in fact, he clearly states that the Atrix has the same issues.

Correct, he does state that it has the same issue, but he didn't say that he has used the phone and seen it, he just seems to stated that they have the same PMU and therefore will have the same issue.

Upvote 0
Just so we're clear, the PMU works to manage chip's power and avoid overheating/chip damage. It reduces the chip's power when full processing is not needed. It also tiers the chips capabilites (stop, pause, resume, etc.). If there truly are issues with the PMU/TMU, then this is not an easy fix. My guess would be that the issues lies in the PMU's linear communication with the processor.

Upvote 0
Correct, he does state that it has the same issue, but he didn't say that he has used the phone and seen it, he just seems to stated that they have the same PMU and therefore will have the same issue.

xbernaut:

"If your really posting from a bionic I feel so sorry for you.that POS is so far from usable in any way shape or form.I bet that if it even makes it to shelves it will be through a bribe.the Etna and its twin for att both have a major unfixable flaw that will plaque it forever.too bad as I like it's concept.its basically a ggalaxyS with motos XOOMs guts.almost exact!.I been using them as door stops since they are far from ready to be used daily.too bad I couldn't hand them out as hockey pucks."

That would lead anyone to believe that he has hands-on experience with either or both handsets. Not trying to start an argument, but I promise you he has spent time with them.

Upvote 0
xbernaut:

"If your really posting from a bionic I feel so sorry for you.that POS is so far from usable in any way shape or form.I bet that if it even makes it to shelves it will be through a bribe.the Etna and its twin for att both have a major unfixable flaw that will plaque it forever.too bad as I like it's concept.its basically a ggalaxyS with motos XOOMs guts.almost exact!.I been using them as door stops since they are far from ready to be used daily.too bad I couldn't hand them out as hockey pucks."

That would lead anyone to believe that he has hands-on experience with either or both handsets. Not trying to start an argument, but I promise you he has spent time with them.

Very sorry, the quote that I saw did not have that line on it. I do see that line in the original thread on Howardforums. You are correct.

Upvote 0
Cmon man did you really expect it not to have any issues?

No...not at all. However, with the 1,000+ posts you've racked up in one month, I'm sure you are aware that we're not talking about a laggy GPS, camera issues or poor reception problems. SoC architecture issues are a much bigger problem. In fact, "issue" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Upvote 0
No...not at all. However, with the 1,000+ posts you've racked up in one month, I'm sure you are aware that we're not talking about a laggy GPS, camera issues or poor reception problems. SoC architecture issues are a much bigger problem. In fact, "issue" doesn't even begin to describe it.

No i definitely agree but in the end this is speculation we have no idea if the final product is gonna have this issue for one. Thats why i advised caution or at least keep the 30 day return policy in mind and if there is an issue swap it out for the inspire. I already had my reservations on this phone because of the locked bootloader and motoblur. Then i started feeling that the emphasis on this phone is really gonna be gaming since tegra is pushing their tegra zone to it. That also is a no deal for me because I do not play games on my phone I use my phone for business and social/personal

Upvote 0
Well, I'm just bummed that "The World's Most Powerful Smartphone" may end up being "The World's Most Expensive Hockey Puck". At least Motorola gave us a heads up...Buy Elsewhere.

That would be a huge nail in the coffin for MOTO so i dont see this coming to market with this issue, if it does they would be idiots

Upvote 0
Yeah this seems to be their flagship phone, one hopes that they will do it justice and build a rock solid phone.
I hope so as well. I didn't intend for this post to be a bummer, I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware. I do realize that until it is tested, this is all speculation. However, it is very reliable speculation.

Upvote 0
That would be a huge nail in the coffin for MOTO so i dont see this coming to market with this issue, if it does they would be idiots

Wow, talk about a flurry of info this morning! Oh, I noticed someone else also posted saying that the PMU issue would be fixed this week, maybe even today, by someone else in that forum. Hopefully they are right and it won't be a problem.

Winston25 said:
I expect that PMU issue will be solved, shortly. This week. Maybe even today. (and don't ask me to say more)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones