• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Poor Phone Storage Memory

Algoz66

Apr 11, 2010
My Desire keeps reporting "low phone storage memory" and when I check it shows the SD card as 3.20GB free, and the phone storage as 15MB free!
I have downloaded some apps, but nowhere near the number that friends have on their Iphones. Is this eating up the memory, and is my only solution to delete them? Seems a bit pathetic to have such small amount of phone memory for such a capable phone?

Yes this an issue with all android phones. They may be fixing it in the next update and allowing you to install apps to your SD card. For now you'll either have to make do and wait for the update or root the phone and install Apps2SD (which isn't very risk free for the desire just yet I don't think)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'll probably root in sometime, but I want to wait for all the kinks to be worked out first.

It's just weird that I can't free any more memory, after deleting all caches. Obviously it'll recreate some of them quite fast, but still...

I had a lot more available a week ago, and I've not really gotten many more programs in the meantime (gotten some new, uninstalled some old)

Upvote 0
Low on space! Phone storage getting low???
Is it true that downloaded apps are saved to the phones memory, not the sd card?
I uninstalled apps that i don't use, live wallpapers and games.
The message came back...
How can I get rid of this?
Any other suggestions?

I had an issue like this with my N95 a while ago, it turned out a lot of programs were not very good at garbage collecting and were filling up the internal storage with junk.

Unfortunately the only way around this for me at the time was to do a factory reset of the phone, I wonder if that would help with the Desire (you'd need to back up all your files/settings before trying it of course) as an interim measure until 2.2 arrives at least.

Upvote 0
It's a pretty disappointing thing that they gave us so big choice on market,but from the other side we cannont save apps we love because we have no much space on the phone.
HTC Desire around 500MB phone memory,Samsung Galaxy - 2GB phone memory! How HUGE difference!
My memory card is 32GB,but it's a pretty empty,I cannot store my apps there.
So, If you want to keep them,go on market and download "Astro File Manager" - at the moment this is the only way to have your apps and not getting low memory phone!

Upvote 0
My phone memory is bigger when I managed apps with astro. Well...if I need them again it is an easy way to reinstall them back without market.
Android 2.2 is official now (not yet in Australia) - it comes with storing applications on a phone’s microSD card.
If there is no space available for applications in an Android 2.2 handset’s onboard ROM, the applications will be automatically installed to your microSD card.
That's what they say.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones