• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Portrait/Lanscape Auto-Orientation Inop (2.1)

Ferret

Mar 29, 2010
Texas
First off, if the Mods decide this belongs elsewhere, I apologise...but this seems to be a new problem; *not* related to 2.1 directly.

The problem is just like I stated in the title:
On the Home screen(s), the Auto-Orientation stopped functioning a day or two ago; it stays on Portrait (unless I open the Keyboard.)
Yes, it *used* to Auto-Orient just fine; both before, *and* after updating.

I have verified that Settings/Sound&Display/(Display Settings)Orientation is checked.
(I even tried *dis*abling it, turn the phone off, remove/reinstall the battery, turn it back on, *re*enabled* it, turned off...yadda-yadda. No joy.)

The *Settings* will Auto-Orient, but not the Home screens.

I am *NOT* using Live Wallpaper, or any other wallpaper/homescreen program.

I *do* have a Background image other than the Stock Wallpaper (set at 640x480), but I switched it back to Stock for troubleshooting; No help.

For you non-Moment folks who may be reading this; I *don't* have a G-Sensor Calibration option, or anything like it (that I can find.)
However, the G-Sensor *does* work (at least, my SpiritLevel program works fine, and *it's* Calibrate button was of no help.)

Now, the particulars:

The phone is 3 weeks' old; delivered with cl14.

I Updated to 2.1, DD03, using the 2.1ForDummies info, and joeykrim's 2.1.3 Recovery package.

I then updated to DD10, and Rooted the phone.

I removed (and saved) some apps, as follows:
AmazonMp3.apk
BejeweledDemo.apk
Calculator.apk
Calculator.odex
com.google.android.marvin.kickback.apk
com.google.android.marvin.soundtrack.apk
com.google.android.marvin.talkback.apk
Email.apk
Email.odex
FactoryTest.apk
FactoryTest.odex
FileViewer.apk
FileViewer.odex
im.apk
KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.apk
KeyBoardSlideUpCounter.odex
MoxierMail.apk
nascar09-prod-release.apk
nfl-prod-release.apk
sfl-prod-release.apk
SprintTV_MR2_Samsung_Moment_GM_Final_1.0.4.29-112596.apk
SprintTVWidget.apk
Weather2-16.apk
xms-android-1.1.4-signed.apk

Any help would be appreciated, guys!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones