• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible Battery Fix from HTC

Thanks everyone for the help.

The changing to CDMA holds for me after a restart. Also, the charge on, charge off seemed to calibrate my battery for me if nothing else. My battery use to drop about 10% in 15 minutes before, now it drops evenly. I don't know if this was the on/off charge method that fixed it, or the fact that I changed the CDMA setting as I did both at the same time. Either way, one of these two fixes, or both together did a lot for me!!

Upvote 0
All this battery talk is getting to me... Last night with my EVO off charge I was able to listen to music for 2 hours, watch 2 full length movies, download 4 apps and take 10 pics and I went to sleep with 52% charge left Awake time was like 7 hours. (which is good, right?)

I fixed my EVO so it's no longer searching for the gsm signal and I will give this a try. But what kind of battery life should I be getting?

Upvote 0
Good morning. I attempted the plug in, green, turn off lug in and repeat trick as suggested by HTC. It only took a coupke ofminutes between piwer on/off for the light to turn green.

HOWEVER...on my 3rd bootup, the light stayed solid with no delay. I will post back later on my interpretation of these actions as to its impact, if any, on battery performance.

Upvote 0
Ok, after 8 times of doing the following with a full charge from being plugged in overnight while I was sleeping:
1. While turned on, I unplugged, turned off and plugged cable back in. 60 sec light turned green.
2. Unplugged, booted up and then after os loaded plugged back in, instant green light.
3. Unplugged, turned off, plugged in and red light for 60 sec before turn green. Unplugged and started over.

I cannot get an instant green light when I plug in while powered off. Everytime it take exactly 60 seconds.

Upvote 0
Ok, after 8 times of doing the following with a full charge from being plugged in overnight while I was sleeping:
1. While turned on, I unplugged, turned off and plugged cable back in. 60 sec light turned green.
2. Unplugged, booted up and then after os loaded plugged back in, instant green light.
3. Unplugged, turned off, plugged in and red light for 60 sec before turn green. Unplugged and started over.

I cannot get an instant green light when I plug in while powered off. Everytime it take exactly 60 seconds.

Maybe leave it plugged in while doing that procedure? When you unplug it the phone is using battery power to turn the phone on and off, of course it is going to need to charge a little bit. Honestly I don't think this will accomplish anyway. Sounds like a wild goose chase to me. But it doesn't hurt to try.

I just wouldn't stress over it too much.

Upvote 0
I don't get what the issue is. Is it that you have to wait 60 seconds for it to show green? .....

Yes. When mine is turned off and I plug it in, about 2-3 seconds the light comes on and it's red/orange. After 60 seconds it turns from red/orange to green.
From what I am understanding is just as soon as you plug it in while the phone is off it is suppose to be green. No red/orange to green like mine is going. To give you an idea of my battery life. From my last post till now I dropped 3% and all I did was typed a message on Facebook. So I know I have some kind of issue going on. Just not sure what it is.

Upvote 0
I have 2 EVOs and I tried the on/off battery thing. Mine is exactly like jobryan26... Powered on and its green instantly. Power off and it turns orange and then at 60 seconds it turns green again... I did this leaving the cable plugged in the whole time. But same result on both phones... I did it about 20 times and the power off step is always orange for the 60 seconds.

Upvote 0
Correction I should not have said the light should sync.. I think 1-2 minutes seem to be the average..

Some of the phones we tested had up to a 30 minutes difference in the on charge v.s. the Off charge..

So on it would get fully charge while on, then when you turned it off it took about an additional 30 minutes to go green again..

Upvote 0
Correction I should not have said the light should sync.. I think 1-2 minutes seem to be the average..

Some of the phones we tested had up to a 30 minutes difference in the on charge v.s. the Off charge..

So on it would get fully charge while on, then when you turned it off it took about an additional 30 minutes to go green again..

Gotcha so whatever my issue is..is totally different. I've just hard reset mine to see if was an app or something.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all for these tips. I think I was getting terrible life because of the GSM/CDMA searching thing - I don't get a good signal in my basement where my office is, and that's not going to change until my Airrave arrives next week. Checking the phone info out, I've spent > 70% of the time without a signal so I'm sure that's been the culprit.

Question about the GSM to CDMA switch...

I get through the menu/switch radio band/force close.. then can switch to CDMA auto prl in the dropbox...

But then when I exit to home or back button and go through process again (settings/switch radio band/force close) .. it shows up as GSM auto prl again..

Is this supposed to happen, or am I somehow not 'confirming' my switch to CDMA.. and how can I do that?

Also where can I view Time without Sprint signal statistics?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i have my own theory about this, having done this method now for something like 1hr and a half, and over a dozen of cycles, is this, turning the phone on and off using a tiny amount of battery, so it will always end up being red for a short period of time after turning it off, also, my battery life hasnt been that bad in the first place, maybe something like 13+hrs per charge, lasted a day of moderate usage

Upvote 0
Question about the GSM to CDMA switch...

I get through the menu/switch radio band/force close.. then can switch to CDMA auto prl in the dropbox...

But then when I exit to home or back button and go through process again (settings/switch radio band/force close) .. it shows up as GSM auto prl again..

Is this supposed to happen, or am I somehow not 'confirming' my switch to CDMA.. and how can I do that?

Also where can I view Time without Sprint signal statistics?

Thanks

Not sure about confirming the switch. When I back out using the home key and look again the setting sticks. It only reverts back when I hit the radio option again.

Time without signal can be seen with Settings > About phone > Battery > Battery Use > Cell Standby

Upvote 0
This means you have a battery issue. I've been using my phone for the past 21 hours and have 49% left!

YOU DON'T NEED A HARD RESET EVEN. I CAN CONFIRM, ALL I DID WAS THIS:

press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

***NOW, WE JUST NEED TO GET THIS TO STICK AFTER A PHONE REBOOT!***
[/B]

Hey Dreamliner...every so often I check to make sure that my EVO doesn't revert back to GSM auto (prl)...however, someitmes I catch it on GSM auto (prl)...why doesn't it stay at CDMA auto (prl)? Most of the time it does remain on CDMA auto (prl) but when it reverts back to GSM it simply puzzles me. Any thoughts or ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones