• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possibly the most awesome phone I've ever had

I had been considering it. I'm sure if I go into an AT&T store and play with it that I'll fall in love and want to buy it. The problem is that I would want it unlocked to use on T-Mobile and I'm sure AT&T may not oblige.

AT&T will unlock phones but only after 60 days, I think. You'd have to ask a representative about it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the review! I'm considering the Padfone X on AT&T's Next plan. I have a question: are there cases? I realize this would mean an additional step before docking (removing a case) but I am kind of afraid of a naked phone! So far, all I can find is folio cases, and I don't like those.

I have not seen any, yet.

Reactions: jessOTR
Upvote 0
I really like the padfone.Both the phone and pad work well and work well together. Call quality is great, people do not realize they are on speakphone, even when the phone is docked. The screens on both are sharp and responsive. The camera is very good, particularly in macro. Apps work well both in phone and tablet mode. The sound is good quality, the level is adequate but I wish it was a tad louder. Definitely not a deal breaker. I also notice a slight lag when watching Netflix. The sound is about a quarter second behind the picture. This is also not a deal breaker for me but would like to hear what others have to about this issue.

Most of the negitive reviews are a bit puzzling. They center around app performance when transitioning between phone and tablet. Some apps will close when the phone is being placed into or out of the pad. I rarely need an app to remain open anyway because like the phone I am also in transition. Usually I close out app, remove the phone and my attention is somwhere else. The important apps work just fine, phone calls and text messaging are seemless. Perhaps this would be an issue for some but I am surprized at the emphasis some reviewers have given this. If you have two separate devices, there is zero transition.

If you need to get only a new phone or only a new tablet other options may be better. If you need both, I would give this setup a hard look.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the kudos on the PF X. Guess you have had it for almost a year?

I know your post is citing it to the high heavens. But is there any reason to believe a lot of the other NEGATIVE posts about it?

I, too, don't mind the reopening of apps after docking. My real concern is reliability and quality. I still am thinking about it and almost ready to pull the trigger. But I would be very interested in your opinion again re: reliability and quality. If you have to buy one again, would you recommend highly to a friend?

I still have an S4 but do not own a tablet for the simple reason that I do not want 2 separate machines. Ergo, Padfone X! But only if it will stand the time! I am careful with my systems and treat them with kid's gloves. But I am no real techie either. Enough to get me into trouble at times.

Any word of encouragement or discouragement is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, rlridgeway!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the kudos on the PF X. Guess you have had it for almost a year?

I know your post is citing it to the high heavens. But is there any reason to believe a lot of the other NEGATIVE posts about it?

I, too, don't mind the reopening of apps after docking. My real concern is reliability and quality. I still am thinking about it and almost ready to pull the trigger. But I would be very interested in your opinion again re: reliability and quality. If you have to buy one again, would you recommend highly to a friend?

I still have an S4 but do not own a tablet for the simple reason that I do not want 2 separate machines. Ergo, Padfone X! But only if it will stand the time! I am careful with my systems and treat them with kid's gloves. But I am no real techie either. Enough to get me into trouble at times.

Any word of encouragement or discouragement is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, rlridgeway!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2878031
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2879454
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2840351

Save yourself the trouble and get a Shield.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones