• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Preparing to root (Sprint HTC Hero) for the first time

About to make the commitment to rooting and flashing to Fresh 1.1, but before I start on that path, I just want to detail my plan and ask a few questions. This is my first time rooting, so any advice at all is super appreciated, especially considering how nervous I am about screwing up my beautiful phone.

1. Download that one program to downgrade/take off that recent firmware update
2. Download Fresh 1.1
3. Download File manager (any suggestions?)
4. Follow one-click rooting steps
5. Flash to Fresh 1.1
6. Download/use Nandroid to create a backup
7. Download and install patch for browser's flash player

Am I leaving anything out? Does the order look correct?

And the questions:

7. I've heard Fresh 1.1 erases some apps, but I'm guessing it's just the pointless Sprint ones? Aside from that, everything stays in tact, plus whatever apps are included in the mod, correct?

8. If I chicken out and later want to restore to standard factory setup again, it's doable, correct?

9. For apps2sd and wifi-tethering, are they relatively easy to figure out? I can figure things out pretty well, but those scary black prompt screens intimidate the hell out of me.

10. Most importantly, I just don't want to get most or all of the way through with this and find myself stuck or lost. Is that possible? I'd like to make this as painless as possible, and get on to saving my millions of apps onto the fat sd card that's on it's way to me right now. Any other pointers or suggestions you have would be great.

Thanks in advance.

About to make the commitment to rooting and flashing to Fresh 1.1, but before I start on that path, I just want to detail my plan and ask a few questions. This is my first time rooting, so any advice at all is super appreciated, especially considering how nervous I am about screwing up my beautiful phone.

1. Download that one program to downgrade/take off that recent firmware update
2. Download Fresh 1.1
3. Download File manager (any suggestions?)
4. Follow one-click rooting steps
5. Flash to Fresh 1.1
6. Download/use Nandroid to create a backup
7. Download and install patch for browser's flash player

Am I leaving anything out? Does the order look correct?

And the questions:

7. I've heard Fresh 1.1 erases some apps, but I'm guessing it's just the pointless Sprint ones? Aside from that, everything stays in tact, plus whatever apps are included in the mod, correct?

8. If I chicken out and later want to restore to standard factory setup again, it's doable, correct?

9. For apps2sd and wifi-tethering, are they relatively easy to figure out? I can figure things out pretty well, but those scary black prompt screens intimidate the hell out of me.

10. Most importantly, I just don't want to get most or all of the way through with this and find myself stuck or lost. Is that possible? I'd like to make this as painless as possible, and get on to saving my millions of apps onto the fat sd card that's on it's way to me right now. Any other pointers or suggestions you have would be great.

Thanks in advance.
1. since your going to use Fresh 1.1 use the prekitchen which will auto root. very simple.
3. Astro is what I use.
4. pre kitchen negates this step.
8. yes download the Ruu
10. Just go to Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero and all the steps are there. you cant get lost, very easy.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can use astro, which I did; but Fresh comes with ES File Explorer. I ended up removing astro because I liked ES File Explorer better. Don't worry you will be fine. Just remember, after you root perform a backup. That way if something does go wrong with the fresh install (highly doubt it), you can always restore back to that point. Rooting can't get any easier, I rooted before they had one click, just using command line. Good Luck.

Upvote 0
I'd switch steps 5 and 6 around...

Once you're rooted and have v1.5.2 of the custom recovery console installed, do a Nandroid backup before flashing to Fresh 1.1.

It's a quick trip to RUU land if something goes haywire while attempting to flash the new ROM without having a good backup to restore.

There is a lot of information out there these days, so take your time and go slowly. Read the posts in the CMDA Hero section in the XDA site forum, read the information about the Fresh ROM on the geekforme site.

While it's nice to have a blind, one-click solution, understanding the steps, the process and what is going on will always be optimal. Know ahead of time what could happen by reading through the issues others have seen so you know what to expect if something funky happens.

Upvote 0
I also have a mac. I used the site below. Watched the video several times to make sure I understood. Did not have to downgrade the phone first.
http://theunlockr.com/2009/11/18/how-to-root-your-sprint-hero-in-one-click/

Made the nandroid backup.

Then I used the his second video to help me flash the fresh 1.1 rom.
How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your HTC Hero | The Unlockr

note: I did format my SD card first as suggested but made a backup first. Once I had flashed the ROM, I copied by back-up back on to the SD card to get everything back.
Just go slow and follow along with video.

BTW, when the ROM loads the first time after you boot up, it will flash for quite a while...just wait it out.

And good luck!!!

Upvote 0
I've rebooted my phone probably 10 times now, and it always leads up to the "Do you want to erase all personal data?" screen instead of the recovery screen. Every time I hold the red end/power button and the home button. What am I doing wrong? And if I can't get to the recovery screen, how can I install Fresh 1.1? How do I know if it's even rooted yet?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's booting up normally. Every time I try to go for Recovery Mode, it sends me to the "Erase Data" page instead.

"11. Once done, click on the empty text box in the FlashRec program and type (again remember we have replaced the recovery image from the one in the video so type what is written here, NOT what is written in the video!):

/sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img

Then click on the Flash Custom RecoveryImage button and wait for it to finish.

12. Turn off the phone and turn it on into Recovery mode by holding down Home and Power to turn it on (keep holding until the recovery screen comes up has a bunch of text on a black background). So long as that screen comes up, you have done it correctly and can now go on to the How to Load a ROM video for your appropriate device!

13. To get Root access you MUST go to the next video mentioned below and load a custom ROM."

I got to step 12, but like I said, the restart into recovery mode doesn't do a thing. Does my phone have to be in some certain state for it to have some effect?

Upvote 0
So, is there a video of how to root using pre-kitchen and install fresh rom. I am really considering this, but I'm more of a hands on guy and need to see something to fully understand it ( I'm a mechanic so I'm good with my hands, not so good with reading comprehension). I downloaded pre-kitchen this morning, but was too afraid to take the plunge. I've been reading whatever I can find about rooting, but don't really understand any of the terminology(only been a smartphone owner for about 6 months now). TIA for any help.

Ted

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones