• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem setting up gmail account

CharlieD

Jun 2, 2010
Greece, NY
www.dennett.org
I wanted to set up one one my gmail accounts. I went to My Accounts, tapped Add Account at the bottom of that screen, selected Email Accounts from the list. It then displays "Retrieving account information". It does this for a few minutes and then apparently times out displaying a message that says Cannot connect to server at this time. Please try again later. It's been like this all day. I did a factory reset last night for other reasons. I've got the phone back the way I want it. Everything else seems to be working. Did I perhaps miss some setting somewhere? Are the servers not responding due to the update being pushed today? Can anyone else try this and see if you get the same results? If it works for you, you don't have to complete setting up a gmail account.

-Charlie

Had this issue when I first got my Maxx.
It would take about 5 minutes to receive an error that it failed to connect to the servers.
I would get this error message if I was trying to add an email account to the stock email app.
Did a factory reset and I would still have the same problem.
It finally seemed to work as it should when I finally decided to sign into backup assistance.
Not sure if that was the reason, or if the servers just happened to be working that day.

Upvote 0
I am not sure if it is related but I know that when I had to set up my student email account (ends in .edu instead of .com or .net) on my phone there are some advanced settings that have to be tweaked in order for it to work right. The email account still uses the gmail client but does not end in the gmail.com suffix. I had to switch to imap and manually choose the incoming and outgoing ports.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones