• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem with ES File Explorer

EarlyMon
I'm glad you got through to them. They kept giving me answers such as needing to root my phone to move mp3 files. When they couldn't come up with another reason, they stopped replying to my emails. How did you manage to get them to admit it?
Maybe a history of sending detailed diagnostics, not sure. No idea if they'll actually fix anything though.

They keep introducing code to route your Dropbox password through their servers in China - if you have an ad blocker, it won't work, it won't bring up their copy of the Dropbox login page. They tried telling me that Dropbox was incompatible with ad blockers before I sent them proof (Network Connections, great app). Then they said, sorry, junior programmer, didn't know, and fixed it. Two updates later, same tricks again.

I tipped the news blogs, none of them were interested including our own (I'm listed as a member of their team but that's window dressing for them, I'm just the Disqus spam janitor :D).

So I took to telling people in Disqus about them and in the forums.

One guy took the challenge, saw what they were doing, wrote them and was told that they had to code it that way to get around the Great China Firewall. Which - no.

Ironically I was among the first to use its root browsing capabilities and helped spread the word making it so popular. When I came out against it, I was just some guy lmao but that's normal human nature and not surprising. I'm the same way lol.

ES is what it is.

It's overall a good browser. It gets far too many updates that change for the sake of change. It has defects and a dev company that doesn't define the truth the way you or I do. It's not to be trusted with Dropbox. I trust it with nothing outside my phone and have boxed it in with a firewall. I kept installing it to help people who use it and to check up on their latest. So now I just keep it installed. Someday I'll kiss it goodbye for good.

If you're unrooted on KitKat, ES is not your best friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure how opinion modifies fact ok.
C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

I can certainly see the logic in concluding ES file explorer is the problem based on other file explorers not having the problem. But it is not a black and white conclusion for me…. The other side of the coin: my Android settings cannot “see” a file in my “notifications” folder after the .nomedia file was deleteed as described in my post above above (the fact that the sound file is in the folder and the folder no longer contained .nomedia was verified not just by ES File explorer bit also by my windows pc). That’s two (ES and Windows PC) against one (Android system). Based on my windows PC it seems that ES is doing exactly what I think it should while Android is not.

It’s not that important to me. But I responded here to expound on my logic because this comment about “opinion modifies fact” implies some black and white or “obvious” facts that are not obvious to me.

Upvote 0
I just want to thank everyone for their help, especially EarlyMon and ElectricPete. I respect both of your opinions but lean towards ES being at fault for the following reasons;
1. ES is the only file manager out of 4 I tested that has the problem.
2. There weren't .nomedia files in any of the folders in question.
3. ES didn't always have the problem. Prior to one of the last ES updates, it handled moving mp3 files like the other explorers, without issue. The problem also occurred before Lollipop was installed.
That sums up my logic and until ES is repaired, I'll be using "Standard". I'm certainly no expert. Just trying to be logical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been having problems using ES File Explorer copying music files to my phone. The tracks end up being displayed in alphabetic order rather than track order. Having investigated a little it appears ES have admitted to this bug. I'm not sure if the bug in this thread is the same as that, but it does indicate that ES have some issues to deal with, which is a pity as I like the app and have been using it for a couple of years. Looks like the bug has been introduced in the last few months, as it didn't have this problem previously.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, to overcome the issue I had I simply plugged my phone into my laptop and copied the files using Windows.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Hi LeftyLooper
Sorry to hear you're having problems with ES too. If you read some of the posts in this thread you can get a good sense of the type of company ES is. I have been using ES for three years was pleased with it until I discovered a flaw. Then running into their support nailed their coffin. When they couldn't appease me with silly answers, they just stopped replying. Time for a new file manager, and thanks to EarlyMon, I'm using "Solid". (But I'm keeping ES installed because it does a few things that I can't do with Solid) ;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones