• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Programs not opening - bad unit?

vincentp

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
Rochester, NY
I've had my Droid since release day, and haven't had any problems with it until now. To be fair, I have installed and uninstalled countless different apps, but I didn't think that would cause any problems.

Recently, my phone will ocassionally become unresponsive when trying to open programs. The odd thing is, it is only certain programs (always the same ones) that will not open. When this happens, I can't open Market, Taskiller or Browser. Most other programs open up just fine, but sometimes Meridian is broken as well. Tapping the icon (whether from the home screen or apps) simply does nothing, the background of the icon just blinks.

Resetting the phone does not work, and neither does pulling the battery. The only way I could fix it was to just wait until it started working again. This morning I did a factory reset and it hasn't happened since, but it was only happening randomly over the past few days. My unit is a 39/09, so it's an early batch. Should I return it and try to get a new one?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones