• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Proximity Sensor Calibration?

Yeah, it needs to be wiped off after each use.. at least that's the way I keep it from staying black when I need to use the keyboard or number pad during a call.

G-sensor calibration should be done as part of maintenance once a week or so, as well.

Plus a live battery pull and 5 minute wait before reboot about once per week, seems to keep everything honky-dory on mine.

Upvote 0
i make sure to wipe it down after every call. the thing is, my face gets really oily and that transfers to the phone. so sometimes, mid-call, i need to pull it away and thats when i have the problems.

guess its something i have to live with, just like my oily face. :(

Upvote 0
test your Proximity sensor by *#*#0588#*#* ( on galaxy not sure about htc)
then use your finger to cover the ear part and surrounding to see if the sensor work properly

there are two type of method i know that they use to deactivate screen in call, Iphone using accel sensor to detect position of the phone ... it might use other things in combination as well

those that use just proximity sensor like galaxy S need to be aware that
your hair have great effects on these sensor!, if your hair is in away
between the phone and your ear will cause sensor detect incorrectly.

I have long hair and it has been trouble me for weeks until i recover the sensor testing code and this forum that talk about cleaning sensor.

So I try to clean my screen and it still doesn't work properly, it work ok with my hand cover sensors. So then I figure out that it is my hair which cause the trouble. Now when I make a phone call and make sure my hair doesn't get between my ears and phone... it all working perfect.

:thinking: somebody should reprogram the sensor so it dont effect by hair. I also try other material any black material will effect the sensor just for fun to see what other thing sensor wont detect.

Anyway, I am asian so my hair definately effect it and thats what i found, not sure if this will solve other people problem.

but someone in R&D team of these phone need to have a look at this seriously. Girl with dark long hair will be annoy to use these phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones