• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Putting a document on a home page as a shortcut

BORIStheBLADE

Sep 15, 2009
San Jose, CA
I did a search and when you type in .PDF the search doesn't find anything. I'm sure its because of it being a short word.

I have a .PDF I would like to put possibly on one of my home screens as a shortcut. I plugged my Cliq into my computer and put the document in the memory card, but can't navigate to it through the phone. The only way I can find this file is if I open up Beamreader.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

In case anyone is trying to create a custom shortcut to a file on their SD card, such as a video (3g2, mp4, m4v), image (jpg, png), HTML file, or PDF file, I finally figured out the correct parameters to use in Any Cut, BetterCut, or dg QuickCut:

Code:
Action: android.intent.action.VIEW
Data: content://com.android.htmlfileprovider/sdcard/mymovie.mp4
Type: video/*

Code:
Data: content://com.android.htmlfileprovider/sdcard/myimage.jpg
Type: image/*

Took me several days scouring the web to figure out why I couldn't just use "file://sdcard/mymovie.mp4" as the URI. Turns out, the phone doesn't want to open a file directly from the SD card because of some kind of security concern running local files.

You can also have Astro create a shortcut for you, but the disadvantages are a) it runs Astro in the background every time you click, and b) the shortcuts fail if you uninstall Astro.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to put a PDF on my Home screen.

Is there an easier way or an app that simply lets me browse to the file and create the shortcut?

I couldn't figure out how to create a shortcut to the file from Astro.

If I use Any Cut, what would I insert into the "Type:" field?
easier?
longpress on your home screen
shortcuts
astro
browse to the file
done

Reactions: martin747
Upvote 0

Is there an easier way or an app that simply lets me browse to the file and create the shortcut?

I couldn't figure out how to create a shortcut to the file from Astro.

If I use Any Cut, what would I insert into the "Type:" field?

You set the type to application/pdf if you have a pdf viewer installed

So just like above but like this

Data: content://com.android.htmlfileprovider/sdcard/somefile.pdf
Type: application/pdf

Upvote 0

Install ES Bookmark (a plugin for ES File Explorer). Then long-press a file or folder in ES File explorer and tap "Shortcut." This puts a shortcut to the file or folder on your home screen.

Reactions: {LCD}Stelios
Upvote 0
I cannot seem to pull this off for the life of me! I have tried ES explorer and cant seem to create a shortcut to a document on my external SD card. I longpress it and it only gives me the option to delete.

Then using ASTRO I found the file and long press and it does not give me the option to create a shortcut. Then I long pressed my home screen and went to shortcuts and then clicked astro and it simply puts a shortcut to the Astro app on my home screen it will not browse the files using astro.

Any help would be appreciated...

Upvote 0
I cannot seem to pull this off for the life of me! I have tried ES explorer and cant seem to create a shortcut to a document on my external SD card. I longpress it and it only gives me the option to delete.

Then using ASTRO I found the file and long press and it does not give me the option to create a shortcut. Then I long pressed my home screen and went to shortcuts and then clicked astro and it simply puts a shortcut to the Astro app on my home screen it will not browse the files using astro.

I'm not sure about the Cliq, but try this:

long-press on a blank area of a home screen. Choose "shortcut" from the menu that pops up. Choose "Astro" from that menu. Select the file you want - it should place a shortcut to the file on that space on the homescreen.

Upvote 0

Did you also install the ED Bookmark add-on that Diablo mentioned above?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones