• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about Avast!

2 Things...:thinking: When I installed Avast ( Due to the good reveiws it got) it prompted me to root the phone ( or something like that) and it prompted me to authorize non-android market access. I did what the phone was asking me to do :eek: but should I be worried? Why was it asking me to root and asking me for non-android market access? Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Via Con Leche!

I am not a master tech...but...here is my two cents...

I too have Avast on my HTC EVO. When I installed it I do not remember being ask to Root. And mine runs fine.

I do know that for certain features of Avast to work, I do know that you need to have Root access, such as the Firewall. All of the other features, such as the Virus Scanner, however, should work just fine.

Question...are you sure that you downloaded the official Avast app from the Google Market or Google Play Store ?

If not, you might have a roge version. The reason for my question is that in my experience, official apps from the Google Play Store typically not ask you to change your App Permission Settings to allow unregistered app.

Just my personal advice, I would recommend completely removing the Avast app you currently have installed, unrooting your phone (unless you have it rooted for another reason other that stated in your post), and then go to the official Google Play Store and downloading the Avast app from there.

Also, if you feel your phone might have been compromised, you may need to do a Factory Reset to completely wipe your phone.

Reactions: nuclear rabbit
Upvote 0
I believe the situation is this:

* Some features of avast require root, but only some. If you don't need these features then you don't need to root (i.e. what kct1975 said above)

* The reason it asks for non-market access is because the anti-theft module is downloaded by the app from avast's servers, and so avast needs this to be authorized so that it can perform the installation. If you don't want the anti-theft feature you don't need to allow this, and you can of course disallow it again once the module has been installed.

Reactions: nuclear rabbit
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones