• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question about battery

You've got a new device. You're worried. I get that.

I only measured my Maxx twice going from 100% to 0%. It was 2d 18h the first time and 3d 2h the second time. Your usage may be a lot heavier than mine.

You have to turn it off and fully charge it.

You may have a defective battery and that needs to be determined in the first few days so you can get it replace if it is the case.

It takes a few days for it to settle in. Making determinations the first day is close to impossible.

Go to your Verizon store and get them in the loop on your concern.

... Thom

i went to the verizon store and told them what was going on. also another note last night when my battery got to 40% it drained to 0 in 5 minutes. the verizon guy told me that when i hooked it up to my computer i possibly couldve had a system error which was causing it to drain fast. he did a battery test the phone call battery test and 10 minutes it went down 1% only so he said that was odd. said to give it a soft reset like with the iphone and it should correct any errors.

Upvote 0
One way to really nail the battery is to use a task killer. These kill the tasks and many of the tasks restart and are killed and restart. This added processing devours the battery.

Another way is to use it has a Mobile HotSpot without connecting it to a charger.

The Maxx has the best battery out there. You MIGHT have a bad one. I don't recall hearing of another bad one out of the box.

Everybody tries to do EVERYTHING when they get their new phone and the best thing you can do is to go slow.

It has been repeated here at least four times that you need to charge it to 100% and use it for a day and charge it to 100% for 3-4 days before making a judgment.

... Thom

Upvote 0
One way to really nail the battery is to use a task killer. These kill the tasks and many of the tasks restart and are killed and restart. This added processing devours the battery.

Another way is to use it has a Mobile HotSpot without connecting it to a charger.

The Maxx has the best battery out there. You MIGHT have a bad one. I don't recall hearing of another bad one out of the box.

Everybody tries to do EVERYTHING when they get their new phone and the best thing you can do is to go slow.

It has been repeated here at least four times that you need to charge it to 100% and use it for a day and charge it to 100% for 3-4 days before making a judgment.

... Thom

ok im sorry. ill use it tonight and the next few days before making a judgement.

Upvote 0
The battery in this phone is a beast. Charge it up all the way, then use it normally all day. Keep screen brightness on 50%. Charge it again to 100% overnight and send us a screen shot of your battery usage before you go to bed. Swipe down from the top right of the screen, click the square icon on the top right then click the battery icon. Hold the power button and volume down button down simultaneously to take a screen shot. Click the bar graph then take a screen shot of that page. Post both pictures here and we can help you.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
The battery in this phone is a beast. Charge it up all the way, then use it normally all day. Keep screen brightness on 50%. Charge it again to 100% overnight and send us a screen shot of your battery usage before you go to bed. Swipe down from the top right of the screen, click the square icon on the top right then click the battery icon. Hold the power button and volume down button down simultaneously to take a screen shot. Click the bar graph then take a screen shot of that page. Post both pictures here and we can help you.

ok will do. but ill be listening to music at work tonight for 5 hours so i know it will drain it. thinking about rooting it to make it even better battery life.

Upvote 0
I agree with Thom..never use a task killer app. They are unnecessary and, in fact, detrimental to the android process. Also, go to Settings>Accounts and disable any accounts you aren't using such as system backups and unused email accounts, etc.
Use the Settings>Battery to see when your battery is draining the most. Tap on the graph to see the battery history for more information. Check the widgets on the home screen... some of them can be quite a hog depending on how often they sync.

You bought the right phone. Its battery will last 2-3 times as long as your iPhone. I leave all the radios on all the time, and screen brightness on maximum, and go to bed with 60% remaining every night.

Upvote 0
This just doesn't seem right

Attachments

• 1391646444400.jpg
    1391646444400.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 1391646455441.jpg
    1391646455441.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
also any tips on how to conserve battery?

i went to the verizon store and told them what was going on. also another note last night when my battery got to 40% it drained to 0 in 5 minutes. the verizon guy told me that when i hooked it up to my computer i possibly couldve had a system error which was causing it to drain fast.

That's the first tip for better battery life: never plug it into a computer to charge it, only to copy files back and forth. Your computer's USB port likely has not enough amps to charge the battery and may end up reverse charging - draining the battery rather than charging it. Plug it into a wall charger for charging only - preferably the wall charger it came with, but, if that's not possible, a UL listed charger that supplies at least 1 amp.

This just doesn't seem right

Again - it's way to soon to base battery life calculations on such a small sample of time. But, 1 hour 37 minutes divided by 6% is 27 hours of battery life. I bet you'll see more, but if you use the phone heavily, that is quite possible.

Still - wait until the battery is down at least 25% before posting another graph. And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it can take as many as two or three charge cycles for the battery charge reporting to be properly calibrated.

Upvote 0
Might just go back to lg this phone is pissing me off

Because of the perceived issues in battery life or something else?

I never, ever, ever judge battery life on a device until I've had it and used it properly for at least 2 weeks.

I got about 20 hours out of the first charge on my Z1. 2 weeks later with roughly the same usage, I was getting 2 days. I have similar stories on my tablets, other phones and even my netbook.

If the phone is new and hasn't had a few charge/discharge cycles, you absolutely cannot accurately judge battery life.

As others have said, give the battery time to settle and if you're still having issues in a week or so, then it's time to start looking at whether or not you have a bad battery.

Upvote 0
+1 on giving it several charge cycles. If you use auto brightness, you can also go to manual and crank it down to whatever still looks good.

Although your sample size on the posted screenshot is too short a time to make major decisions from, your screen on time is likely what is causing the most drain. As is often the case. And people with a new phone tend to constantly have the screen on in order to explore all the settings, add apps etc.

Upvote 0
As I use this phone more and more I'm seeing stuff that I miss from the lg. I love this phone also but just everyone told me before I didn't give the lg enough time. And the lg lasts just about the same as the maxx. I know I'm annoying

The Maxx IS the longest lasting smartphone. I still suggest (and everyone else) giving it day or 2 to see how the battery lasts after a few complete charge cycles. But if it doesn't show any signs of lasting power, and drops from 40% to 5% in 5 minutes continually, then yes, it probably is a dud battery. If that's the case, I'd also hold judgment on the phone until you got a replacement with a working battery, since that will probably last longer than you think.

Upvote 0
Hey, just curious... now that it's been a few days, how has the battery life been? Is it working well for you, or did you find that it was draining faster than you need?

i actually went back to the lg g2 then back to the maxx and im so happy with the maxx at the moment. its lasting me well. im not worrying about the battery. as long as it lasts all day ill be fine which my iphone 5 did so this should have no problem also

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
I posted this in the bug reports/problems however I just saw this post. So here are my screen shots, does this look normal for battery life on how I'm using my phone or is my battery jacked up? I have had the phone for a full week now and it lasts less than my droid razr maxx that I got rid of for this phone. I don't know if I need to condition the battery still or if this is normal for this phone for the way I have been using it. I read on CNET I believe that a guy watched hd movies for over 14 hrs before the battery died.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-02-21-36-56[1].jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-21-36-56[1].jpg
    32 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_2014-03-02-21-37-00[1].jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-21-37-00[1].jpg
    23 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_2014-03-02-21-37-09[1].jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-21-37-09[1].jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones